Possible Mycoplasma from Hilltop Farms chicks.

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
I’m pretty sure I now have mycoplasma in my flock from bringing in infected chicks from an NPIP place! This place is called Hilltop farms and many people have had very negative experiences like I have, including a massive amount of chick deaths! One of my chicks from there had some sneezing and clear nasal discharge that went away in about 2 weeks on its own. It was too late by then because they had already had contact with my flock. It’s been about 3 months after my previous flock has had contact with these chicks and now within the last three weeks I have 2 hens with watery, bubbly eyes. No other symptoms right now, and they’re still laying eggs. One of the hens has had the bubbles and watery eyes on and off for all of the 3 weeks and no other symptoms have appeared yet, the other just developed slight swelling and bubbles within the last few days. Does a bubbly eye usually always mean mycoplasma, and does it always cause a massive decrease in laying because my symptomatic hens are acting 100% normal and laying normal eggs. I hatched chicks under a broody about 5 weeks ago and none of them have symptoms either, I would think they’d be showing symptoms but maybe not? I did order some denagard to see if that’ll help. I’m also trying to look into getting a test done, and for now my flock will remain closed until I get a positive or negative result. This is terrible because I practice strict bio security with my flock and only buy from NPIP, but I guess it was all for nothing and now my previously very healthy and beautiful flock may have a chronic disease for the rest of their lives.

Here’s my poor little D’uccles eye, despite how bad it looks she’s acting 100% normal and even laid an egg yesterday.
365B8F87-B5DE-48AC-868D-9EA1811AC4C5.jpeg

E1A39C29-57A5-431D-9798-D46EE9064432.jpeg

Getting testing would be a good idea, this way you know what you are dealing with.
Contact your state lab about testing or you can use an independent lab.

Clean and flush the eye with saline, apply terramycin in the eye.
See if that makes a difference. If she has other respiratory symptoms or gets worse, then an antibiotic like Tylosin may be appropriate.

Getting testing would be a good idea, this way you know what you are dealing with.
Contact your state lab about testing or you can use an independent lab.

Clean and flush the eye with saline, apply terramycin in the eye.
See if that makes a difference. If she has other respiratory symptoms or gets worse, then an antibiotic like Tylosin may be appropriate.
Yes I’m looking into getting testing through UC Davis, Zoologix doesn’t test birds in California for some reason. I need to know what is going on because the symptoms are weird. Just a bubbly eye on 2/20 chickens. No other respiratory symptoms, still laying perfect eggs, and acting 100% like their normal selves! I would think a serious disease like mycoplasma would present worse symptoms in more hens but maybe not! I have denagard coming on Monday so I was going to use that to treat. Been flushing and using terramycin on both girls but no change! Just watery eyes/bubbles on and off throughout the day!

Yes I’m looking into getting testing through UC Davis, Zoologix doesn’t test birds in California for some reason. I need to know what is going on because the symptoms are weird. Just a bubbly eye on 2/20 chickens. No other respiratory symptoms, still laying perfect eggs, and acting 100% like their normal selves! I would think a serious disease like mycoplasma would present worse symptoms in more hens but maybe not! I have denagard coming on Monday so I was going to use that to treat. Been flushing and using terramycin on both girls but no change! Just watery eyes/bubbles on and off throughout the day!
Is the other hen an EE or has a muff too?

I'd be diligent in flushing/cleaning the eye very well with saline, do press around and look inside the eye to make sure there's no debris, a see or something foreign in the eye. Apply your ointment.
I'd also consider trimming the feathers away from the eyes just in case they are getting stuck in the ointment and in the eye causing further irritation.

Do they have any lice/mites or do you see any infection in the ears?

Getting some testing through UC Davis is a good idea, I hope that's possible. Once you have more information about what you are dealing with, then it may be much easier to treat.

Is the other hen an EE or has a muff too?

I'd be diligent in flushing/cleaning the eye very well with saline, do press around and look inside the eye to make sure there's no debris, a see or something foreign in the eye. Apply your ointment.
I'd also consider trimming the feathers away from the eyes just in case they are getting stuck in the ointment and in the eye causing further irritation.

Do they have any lice/mites or do you see any infection in the ears?

Getting some testing through UC Davis is a good idea, I hope that's possible. Once you have more information about what you are dealing with, then it may be much easier to treat.
Yes the other hen is an Ameraucana with pretty big muffs. Her eyes are much less watery and bubbly than they were before. Her tear duct area was very slightly swollen and when I pressed down just more tears came out. Her eye is just more wet looking now than bubbly. I do notice she’ll get some bubbles after dust bathing and drinking water. Those bubbles will then be gone a few minutes later. She’s had the watery/bubbly eyes now for about 3 weeks, no other symptoms. If the denagard makes her teary eyes go away then I’ll assume it’s something bacterial (if I don’t have the test results by then, will get testing either way).
72616701-58C1-4777-9DFA-7B81B5ADB2C2.jpeg

My D’Uccle will look like the picture I posted before and then just have a watery looking eye as well. I’d say she’s had it for about 6 days now, no additional symptoms. She has a swollen tear duct area on the one eye that just gets more teary when I press down. I’ll continue with the saline and terramycin until I can get the testing done! All I need to do is get the tube and swab and I can send it in for the PCR test.
499A6ED0-2912-4BD9-9274-88CA5670C1DC.jpeg

No lice, mites or ear infections! I also looked inside their mouths and they’re clear there! Just dirty muffs from the tears and ointment.

I’m pretty sure I now have mycoplasma in my flock from bringing in infected chicks from an NPIP place! This place is called Hilltop farms and many people have had very negative experiences like I have, including a massive amount of chick deaths! One of my chicks from there had some sneezing and clear nasal discharge that went away in about 2 weeks on its own. It was too late by then because they had already had contact with my flock. It’s been about 3 months after my previous flock has had contact with these chicks and now within the last three weeks I have 2 hens with watery, bubbly eyes. No other symptoms right now, and they’re still laying eggs. One of the hens has had the bubbles and watery eyes on and off for all of the 3 weeks and no other symptoms have appeared yet, the other just developed slight swelling and bubbles within the last few days. Does a bubbly eye usually always mean mycoplasma, and does it always cause a massive decrease in laying because my symptomatic hens are acting 100% normal and laying normal eggs. I hatched chicks under a broody about 5 weeks ago and none of them have symptoms either, I would think they’d be showing symptoms but maybe not? I did order some denagard to see if that’ll help. I’m also trying to look into getting a test done, and for now my flock will remain closed until I get a positive or negative result. This is terrible because I practice strict bio security with my flock and only buy from NPIP, but I guess it was all for nothing and now my previously very healthy and beautiful flock may have a chronic disease for the rest of their lives.

Here’s my poor little D’uccles eye, despite how bad it looks she’s acting 100% normal and even laid an egg yesterday.
View attachment 3561135
View attachment 3561136
Hey I treated a pigeon with same infection
I use Cipla ciplox eye drops 2 times a day 2-2 drops each eye and doxycycline with neomycin 30 mg 2 times a day 7 days and all clear

Yes the other hen is an Ameraucana with pretty big muffs. Her eyes are much less watery and bubbly than they were before. Her tear duct area was very slightly swollen and when I pressed down just more tears came out. Her eye is just more wet looking now than bubbly. I do notice she’ll get some bubbles after dust bathing and drinking water. Those bubbles will then be gone a few minutes later. She’s had the watery/bubbly eyes now for about 3 weeks, no other symptoms. If the denagard makes her teary eyes go away then I’ll assume it’s something bacterial (if I don’t have the test results by then, will get testing either way).
View attachment 3563220

My D’Uccle will look like the picture I posted before and then just have a watery looking eye as well. I’d say she’s had it for about 6 days now, no additional symptoms. She has a swollen tear duct area on the one eye that just gets more teary when I press down. I’ll continue with the saline and terramycin until I can get the testing done! All I need to do is get the tube and swab and I can send it in for the PCR test.
View attachment 3563224

No lice, mites or ear infections! I also looked inside their mouths and they’re clear there! Just dirty muffs from the tears and ointment.
It would be good to clean the eyes several times a day if possible.

Denagard (Tiamulin) will treat Mycoplasma only.

The swelling of the sinus, I'd continue to press the material out of there when you flush.

Hopefully you can get the testing results back soon.

It would be good to clean the eyes several times a day if possible.

Denagard (Tiamulin) will treat Mycoplasma only.

The swelling of the sinus, I'd continue to press the material out of there when you flush.

Hopefully you can get the testing results back soon.
Since Denagard treats mycoplasma only, if this is what makes their eyes finally go back to normal, it would be safe to assume that mycoplasma is pretty much what they’re dealing with? Still trying to get the correct tube and synthetic swab to get the sample for testing but will absolutely be testing even if Denagard makes their symptoms go away. Both hens eyes are still watery, still no new symptoms and no new symptoms in anyone else. Both are continuing to lay healthy eggs with good shells. All 6, 6 week old babies are also non symptomatic. If I’m dealing with mycoplasma here then this is one really mild case.

Ask your lab is treating them will skew/affect results - they may not want you to treat them until you get your samples sent in.

If the Denagard makes a difference, then you can probably assume that MG is at play. Sometimes birds can be symptomatic from more than one respiratory disease. Like MG and IB or IC can often go hand in hand. This is where testing will give you the best info.

Back
Top Bottom