Possible Mycoplasma - but not MG or MS

I believe some of the PCR tests will not indicate the infection if the bird has been treated with antibiotics recently. I could be wrong though.

Did they look into ILT since they mentioned tracheitis????? Could be a mild strain as there are many different strains of MG and ILT.
I doubt that they were given antibiotics by the previous owner, and I haven't given them anything besides Wazine.
They didn't test for ILT, but the vet did mention that they could test for that and IBV if I brought in a live bird or a blood sample.

Over load of Capillary worms can cause Respitatory problems. I'm not sure if the wazine will kill Capillary I would check with Dawg on what type wormer to use. Probably Valbazen or safeguard.
Good luck

Over load of Capillary worms can cause Respitatory problems. I'm not sure if the wazine will kill Capillary I would check with Dawg on what type wormer to use. Probably Valbazen or safeguard.
Good luck
The necropsy report revealed lesions on the intestines caused by large roundworms, not capillary worms. However, you are correct. Capillary worms can infect the crop and can be mistaken as a respiratory issue. Safeguard and valbazen will take care of capillary worms.

Last edited:
Hey,hope your birds are doing ok.Wish there was more known about some of these ailments,here at the moment there's some new disease our vet's not even sure what it is but it'd just affectin the sebright bantams.I know a breeder whose been breeding them 15 years and he's lost birds too.You can never be too careful,espically when you have other birds.

Well, three more quarantine birds came down sick yesterday. I've decided to cull all of them. No matter what this disease is, I don't want it in my main flock. I plan to sell hatching eggs and chicks. If my birds get this disease, they'll probably get over it and be fine. But they will always be carriers - mycoplasma is even spread through hatching eggs. I can't knowingly sell animals that are disease carriers. It just isn't right.

It's a bummer, but it's not really a huge loss. They're not super rare, or breeder/show quality. Just decent layers.

The most important thing is that the rest of my birds are safe. A BIG THANK YOU to everyone here at BYC who taught me the importance of quarantining new animals. You are the reason this didn't turn into a disaster.
A special thanks to CowGirlJules, whose tragic experience is a lesson we can all learn from: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669082/infectious-laryngotracheitis

Back
Top Bottom