Possible Mycoplasma

LauraT

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
New Jersey
I have a flock of six older girls (the youngest is 3yrs, the oldest is 7yrs) that have come down with some type of respiratory illness. It was the 7yr old that started first with wheezing, gasping for air, gurgling noises, discharge from the nose (yellow). Then two more came down with the same symptoms. All three were lethargic, only drank water and pretty much laid down with their eyes closed. I looked up the symptoms and it sounded like mycoplasma. They don't have any foul odor.

I am at a loss to understand how they came down with it, though. I have another flock of five younger pullets that I've kept separately from the big flock, in the garage. Two weeks ago I got a little rooster from someone, but I've kept him separately as well at night. During the day they all free ranged. He's the only new addition to the flock. He looks healthy, shows no symptoms of disease, and I got him from a responsible lady, who also raises chickens. My first thought was that maybe he had something and spread it to my hens. But it's only in the older ones, not in the pullets. So I'm not sure my theory makes sense.

I've injected them with Tylan 50 for the past two days. One of them looks better, one so-so, but this morning there was an improvement, she came down from the coop. The 7yr old shows little improvement.

I understand that they should be a closed flock now. I never intended to sell them or anything like that. We have them as pets and we eat their eggs.

1. My first question is: after the older girls get better, can I put the younger ones with them? I would hate to, and don't think I have the heart to do it, cull the older flock.
2. The second question: once the hens are free of disease, are the eggs safe to eat? I occasionally give some away to friends, as well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've read a few threads here, and I got some answers, but just want to make sure I'm doing/choosing the right thing.

Without clinical evaluation, it is impossible to determine if this is MG or perhaps IB (Infectious Bronchitis).

Either way, I suspicion your new rooster brought in the infection. Both can be transmitted by the wind and by you...through clothing, shoes, feed bowls, etc.

True isolation does not allow free ranging together. True isolation approaches HazMat type protocol, which most backyard keepers cannot possibly hope to maintain.

Isolation should be a completely separate area, with no wind carriage. No ability to see or come by fence line. No mixing of fields. Different feed bowls/feed/dishes. Treat healthy stock first, change clothing (shoes and coat at minimum) to treat isolated animals.

It is not surprising your older birds showed symptoms first. As hens age, so does their immune system. That is the number one reason why commercial industry and many keepers refresh the flock every 3 years and remove older birds.

As to your flock, you can totally keep an MG closed flock (if MG is indeed what it is). Your grow out pullets have probably already been exposed due to loose isolation protocol, but MG does spread more slowly. There are vaccinations you could attempt to boost their immunity, although likely it is too late now as they've already been exposed.

If it is IB, it will simply go the way of all viruses, and after the last symptoms abate, you can begin slow introduction of the flock together.

If you are willing, it wouldn't hurt to get a culture from one of your sick birds to determine what the cause is. How you proceed would then be influenced.

Sorry your girls are sick. That is the risk when you bring in new animals, who often have already passed the acute phase or have a lurking illness without showing symptoms.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
LofMc

It is unfortunate that a chicken that has come from a flock where he has become a non-symptomatic carrier, but that is how respiratory diseases can spread, sometimes within only a few days of exposure. Infectious bronchitis, the most common respiratory disease that is caused by a virus, will usually cause frequent sneezing or a chirp, and may have clear nasal drainage. But in mycoplasma, and some of the other diseases, both bacterial and viral, can cause wheezing, gurgling, thick nasal drainage, gunk or foam in eyes, and sometimes eye or favial swelling. I would contact your state vet or department of agriculture, poultry section, and ask how to get a necropsy done on your 7 year old hen if you sacrifice her. This can identify the disease, and so you will know how to proceed. You may be able to get testing instead if you discuss it. Infectious Bronchitis can make carriers of the whole flock for 5 months to a year after the last bird recovers. With mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, or others, they can be considered carriers for life. MG and IB are fairly common in backyard flocks. You will probably not be able to separate your two flocks in the future, but if you know what you are dealing with, you may want to consider vaccinating. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Thank you both LofMc and Eggcessive! Your information answered some of my concerns and the info you gave me is appreciated. Unfortunately, I hate to agree with the fact that it probably was the rooster that infected them. He's 15 weeks old, shows no symptoms, but is probably a carrier. I have no other explanation. In the seven years since I've been raising chickens, not once have I had anything like this. No respiratory illness. But I normally raise them either from chicks bought from a reputable place or my hens become mommies.

Hazmat type of isolation is out of the question. I have a run with a wire fence, so I'm sure you're both right, the other pullets were probably already exposed to the virus. They free ranged together before, too. I am really heartbroken over this. The good news is, two of the birds are getting better, one is still making the gurgling noises, but neither is gasping for air, and the foam around their eyes is gone. So is the discharge from their nose. The matriarch is better, too. She came out of the coop, but is still gasping for air. I had to clean the yellow discharge. The bad news is, my naked neck is sneezing now and looks a little sad. My local TSC and the one one town over have ran out of Tylan50. I had to order it online with expedited shipping.

Was reading through the NJ Dept of Agriculture about the tests they offer. Got kind of confusing, so I'll have to call the vet hotline that they have there.

Last edited:
Update: the bad news first: my naked neck didn't make it. I'm still heart broken over it. The rest of the flock is doing well. The old girl even better than before. And now, I have to totally agree that it was the new rooster who infected my flock. I have my very strong reasons to believe that.

Thank you all for your support!

Sorry for your loss. If you have kept the nakeed neck's body, it can be refrigerated and shipped to your state vet for a necropsy to diagnose the illness. Vaccines are available for certain diseases. It is a good idea to close your flock to birds going in or out of your flock. That way, it won't spread. Also MG and some respiratory diseases will only remain infective for several days after all birds have passed away in years to come. Then you could start over with new chicks without worry.

Yeah, I'm not planning on adding more chickens for quite some time. Eggcesive, I'll wait until they're all gone one way or another (we don't eat them), then start fresh. It's just a shame that it happened. And I am ticked off, too. Lesson learned not to take in new birds from someone else.

Back
Top Bottom