POSSIBLE NIACIN DEFICIENCY?! HELP

Sadiemichelle

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
* I inserted the best picture I have.
Hello everyone ! I just joined this group today in hopes for some help!
I had gotten 4 ducks about three weeks ago. Everything has been find with them up until yesterday! One of my babies seems to have a “ bowed in” leg ?? I’m not too sure. I’ve been reading up on it and have come to understand it might be a niacin deficiency! Im hoping someone would know if that’s the issue, and then following up with what niacin I should use to help?? Or I’ve also ready brewers yeast or vitamin b complex! Looking for any help, I just want to make my baby better! Ps, no vets where I live will see ducks ):
Thank you!

Attachments

• 415A15E6-7A38-4214-B55D-F435E6F00061.jpeg
    415A15E6-7A38-4214-B55D-F435E6F00061.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 35
:welcome It can happen slowly where we don’t even notice till it is noticeable. When it gets there it’s time for liquid B complex https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/. If you get her on it ASAP I think there is a good chance she’ll recover.Are your ducklings Pekin? I would put all your ducklings on the Durvet liquid B Complex.
I was told that two of them at Pekin and the other two are a different breed I cannot remember the name of right now. And ok! Thank you so much I will get them all started on b complex! How much should I be giving them and for how long ??

These are the 4 then I first got them

Attachments

• 23CE7D94-A577-4D30-B684-97220410E375.jpeg
    23CE7D94-A577-4D30-B684-97220410E375.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 23
Jumping on this thread - one of my 3 week old khaki campbells started having this constant shaking in one of her legs - I noticed it about 4 days ago and have been giving her 1 ml of Durvet Vitamin B complex daily for the past 3 days, plus I'm adding it to their water. But I wanted to check in to see if you all think that this is indeed a niacin deficiency because most of what I've read about it (including the sticky thread) doesn't mention quivering/shaking legs - just talks about swollen legs and trouble standing.
My ducklings have been given a lot of nutritional yeast with their food since I got them at 5 days old and I mix the food with water so they are definitely eating the yeast, but they are eating Scratch and Peck Starter, which is said to be good for both ducks and chicks if yeast is added, not a duck specific feed.
If it is niacin deficiency how long before I should hope to see her (hopeful pronoun) leg stop shaking?
Also, does vitamin B complex supplementation cause their poop to get extra runny and stinky by any chance? Yucky poop change started same day as supplementing.

Back
Top Bottom