Possible olive egger?

She's definitely an Easter Egger, but the pictures are very blurry, and the egg appears to be in a deep shadow as well making it difficult to see the egg color. If it's a dark, olive green, then you have an Olive Egger. Can you post a clear, well-lighted, close-up picture of her egg?

She's definitely an Easter Egger, but the pictures are very blurry, and the egg appears to be in a deep shadow as well making it difficult to see the egg color. If it's a dark, olive green, then you have an Olive Egger. Can you post a clear, well-lighted, close-up picture of her egg?
lol's sorry she is really skittish I was like 10 feet away and the zoom didn't come out as clear as I wanted and I forgot to turn on the lights when I took the egg pic. the two in the carton closest to the end next to the white egg im holding are hers the other 4 got eaten already lol's

Those two eggs don't look olive green to me in the picture. The one on the right appears to be blueish and the one next to it a lighter color. It might just be a trick of the light, but I don't see how those two eggs came from the same bird. Anyway, it looks to me like you just have an Easter Egger, not an Olive Egger.

Those two eggs don't look olive green to me in the picture. The one on the right appears to be blueish and the one next to it a lighter color. It might just be a trick of the light, but I don't see how those two eggs came from the same bird. Anyway, it looks to me like you just have an Easter Egger, not an Olive Egger.
They look green to me but those are the first two she layed I wish I had the ones she layed during the week they had at least had a stable color I think that's why the color is so weird but the both came from her I was present during both layings and to my knowledge she is the only one using the "nest box" right now

They look green to me but those are the first two she layed I wish I had the ones she layed during the week they had at least had a stable color I think that's why the color is so weird but the both came from her I was present during both layings and to my knowledge she is the only one using the "nest box" right now

Even if it's a trick of the light, they don't look the dark olive green of an olive egger. Maybe another member will see it differently, but to me it appears you just have an Easter Egger.

Even if it's a trick of the light, they don't look the dark olive green of an olive egger. Maybe another member will see it differently, but to me it appears you just have an Easter Egger.

that's fine I was just trying to figure out what breed she was I have been calling her a champine for months until her beard and comb grew in the way they did
gig.gif

We are really getting in to semantics here, at least to some point...

An Easter Egger is a chicken that can lay eggs pretty much across any of the color spectrums, and this could theoretically include olive colored eggs... They are mutts with no specific blood lines, a catch all name for anything that doesn't lay a traditional colored egg...

An Olive Egger is a generally a bred on purpose hybrid, using a blue/green egg laying hen (be it pure bred blue/green laying variety or even a generic Easter Egger mutt) that is breed to a rooster that you know carries the deep brown eggs genes... Of course there are no set rules, there are other ways to get olive colored eggs even by chance with mutts...

To know if you have an 'Olive Egger' or a 'Easter Egger' crack an egg open, if the inside of the shell is the same color as the outside most would just consider it just a green laying Easter Egger, but if you crack it open and the inside is a lighter blue/green color with the outer shell being noticeably darker then it's an Olive Egger... The reason being is that the brown egg gene in this case only colors the outside of the shell, it's the mixture of a base blue/green egg and this thin brown coating that results in the olive colored egg...

I hope that makes some sense...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom