possible problem?

TATERsmom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
South Louisiana
frow.gif
My daughter picked up one of her (almost)week old chicks and flipped out because the bottom of its belly looked what I would call "dirty".
barnie.gif
I have them on newspaper and I think its just from them laying to rest. But is there something I might be doing wrong or can this lead to a problem? Would it be ok to wipe them off with a baby wipe when I change their pads. Or maybe hay or wood chips would do better. Please Help!
hu.gif
My teen has enough to complain about without the dirty chicken. LOL!
big_smile.png

It's best not to keep chicks on newspaper that is just layed flat. It can cause spraddle legged chicks. You didn't specify whether it was shredded newspaper or not. At any rate newspaper ink will rub off on them. I use sand or wood chips.

never ever use newspaper for bedding. it can cause splayed legs. if you dont want to go out and get something like woodchips or hay, use ripped up paper towels.

Quote:
Good idea! That's what I do! Works great. Babies can see the food, too
Christina

PS- as long as you wasg the chick in a warm area, with a warm wet cloth so it doesnt chill you should be ok. Don;t get it too wet

Do Not use Cedar chips of any kind. Go to wally world and splurge on the small critter pine shavings. Change every so often as to keep the smell down or if they get wet.

Use a small waterer of your choice and CHANGE the water daily. This is important. Chicks make a mess of waterers.

Feed ONLY starter until 3 weeks of age then you can start giving them treats like small pieces of bread and yogurt. Do Not overdo this.

If you can find medicated starter this it the best. It is expensive though. NO 100 % poultry grain until the age of 6 weeks.

You can mix 40/60 poultry/(starter or flock growth) from 4 to 6 weeks old.

Keep a light on them. 95 degree to start (at bottom of brooder) then take it up for 90,85,80 etc per week.

Really it is easy and they will tell you if they are cold or hot by moving to or from (respectively) from the heat source.

Back
Top Bottom