Possible prolapse vent in chick.

Bbrothers

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2020
Ocala, Fl
I finally got a good picture of my chick going to the bathroom. It’s painful for her as she constantly chirps when she is going. She does peck at it to help it along which I presume is causing more damage. I feel like it is getting worse by the hour. I just her separated her from the other three chicks with only water in case of constipation. What can I do for her? Is it a prolapse?
BDCB22B7-6592-41CC-91BD-B45611399540.png

Yes, it's prolapse due to constipation and straining to go.

Constipation in chicks can be life threatening. Give her a teaspoon of coconut oil, slightly chilled to make it solid and slip the balled up oil into her beak. Massage her crop gently to disperse the oil and continue to offer her water.

For the prolapse, wet a cloth with witch hazel and gently push the prolapse back inside. Smooth on some hydrocortisone cream and let her rest. If she hasn't passed a nice size turn in a couple hours, repeat the oil, and each time you see the prolapse outside, use the witch hazel wet cloth and push it back inside.

What are you feeding including treats and food scraps? Are you offering grit? Have you seen her eating the bedding? Wood shavings? Straw?

Constipation in chicks can be life threatening. Give her a teaspoon of coconut oil, slightly chilled to make it solid and slip the balled up oil into her beak. Massage her crop gently to disperse the oil and continue to offer her water.

For the prolapse, wet a cloth with witch hazel and gently push the prolapse back inside. Smooth on some hydrocortisone cream and let her rest. If she hasn't passed a nice size turn in a couple hours, repeat the oil, and each time you see the prolapse outside, use the witch hazel wet cloth and push it back inside.

What are you feeding including treats and food scraps? Are you offering grit? Have you seen her eating the bedding? Wood shavings? Straw?

I’m only feeding her medicated chick feed. All of the chicks definitely peck around so eating some bedding could happen. I use the pine shavings.
Here is a picture of her when she isn’t straining to go and nothing is out.
I washed her bottom and put Preparation H on there. She is passing large stool for sure it just takes her a while.
Here are pictures of her when she is not straining to go and also of her stool.
4F1A7994-D919-40A3-8744-50F9CCA3BB79.jpeg
8CA23BA7-305A-4874-9CC5-1CB9CA5E5B55.jpeg

It's not real clear what you're referring to. Is that a small puddle of poop just to the left of the chick's butt? When photographing poop, it's best to transfer it to a white paper towel so we can see it apart from wood shavings which camouflage the detail.

How is the crop? Is it full and hard? How is the chick's behavior? Lethargic or active and normal? Appetite?

I fear a blocked gizzard if the oil hasn't produced solid poop. That may require a molasses flush.

It's not real clear what you're referring to. Is that a small puddle of poop just to the left of the chick's butt? When photographing poop, it's best to transfer it to a white paper towel so we can see it apart from wood shavings which camouflage the detail.

How is the crop? Is it full and hard? How is the chick's behavior? Lethargic or active and normal? Appetite?

I fear a blocked gizzard if the oil hasn't produced solid poop. That may require a molasses flush.

Yes that’s it. It isn’t transferable and actually went away after a few minutes. It’s basically bubbles.
H

Yes that’s it. Thanks for the tip. It’s not transferable though. It’s basically a pile of bubbles and disappeared shortly after.
The crop feels empty. I’m not a pro but I compared it to the other chicks and I can’t find any bulge.

Behaviour seems ok and quite active. As a matter of fact she keeps trying to jump out of the container to get back to her family.

I kept her away from food hrough the night so she could get more water. Should I give her some? I saw something about maybe soaking the food so it’s wet? She is definitely searching for food and I think maybe consumed a tiny bit of grit.

Also I have attached another poop picture. Hopefully it’s a little better. There are shavings for a bit of comparing. It’s very tiny.

I am so very thankful for your help.
DB913659-351A-4A3E-8669-B7EA219CF446.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom