Possible Prolapsed Vent in 2-day old Cornish Cross Chick

CyberCountry

Chirping
Aug 4, 2018
This is a cornish cross ('meat bird') two-day-old male chick.
Conditions as shown. Chick had matted poo on its rear, gently moistened it with a warm paper towel and got it off. Bottom hole was actually a scab of some sort. Thought it was poo when I was cleaning it off. Came off fairly easily.

tumblr_pxfo96pq2g1u8003yo1_540.jpg

This is new for this chick. Chick has spraddle leg as well (had it when I got him), but all vents were clear upon purchase. All other birds are clear. Appears to be eating and drinking normally, active so far. Pretty agitated being poked around. Poo that was stuck to him was pretty runny looking.

Just want to know if this is a treatable problem, a 'will go away on its own' problem, or a 'you should cull that poor thing!' problem. Obv he's in a brooder with the others, chopped straw bedding, red heat bulb for warmth. I have a thermometer in there to keep temps in check.

Thanks for help.

May or may not go away. Only time will tell. The other scab was its umbilical (belly button). BUT... the other chicks will be attracted to the redness and pick at its behind which will cause all kinds of problems .I would dab some bluecoat on it.

May or may not go away. Only time will tell. The other scab was its umbilical (belly button). BUT... the other chicks will be attracted to the redness and pick at its behind which will cause all kinds of problems .I would dab some bluecoat on it.

What a great day for my Blu kote to run out :hmm. I'll see if my tractor supply carries it, otherwise may have to go hunting. I assume there's nothing I can do for it besides 'let it go'?

This is a cornish cross ('meat bird') two-day-old male chick.
Conditions as shown. Chick had matted poo on its rear, gently moistened it with a warm paper towel and got it off. Bottom hole was actually a scab of some sort. Thought it was poo when I was cleaning it off. Came off fairly easily.

tumblr_pxfo96pq2g1u8003yo1_540.jpg

This is new for this chick. Chick has spraddle leg as well (had it when I got him), but all vents were clear upon purchase. All other birds are clear. Appears to be eating and drinking normally, active so far. Pretty agitated being poked around. Poo that was stuck to him was pretty runny looking.

Just want to know if this is a treatable problem, a 'will go away on its own' problem, or a 'you should cull that poor thing!' problem. Obv he's in a brooder with the others, chopped straw bedding, red heat bulb for warmth. I have a thermometer in there to keep temps in check.

Thanks for help.

Personally, I would not bluecote it. If you have some Vetricyn, I would spray the area with some Vertricyn, otherwise use an Iodine product, then rub either Preparation H or Hydrocortizone cream on it's little vent. The (original variety, NO "pain relief") Preparation H or Hydrocortizone will help shrink the swollen tissues. Keep that baby separate from the others. He'll be a prime target for pick-out which is an awful way to die- if he goes back in and they start pecking those lushious red tissues.

I say no bluecote because if the smell/taste of blood is there- they'll pick at him anyways.

What a great day for my Blu kote to run out :hmm. I'll see if my tractor supply carries it, otherwise may have to go hunting. I assume there's nothing I can do for it besides 'let it go'?

Do you have some hydrocortisone or preparation h? Any grocery store will have that (and iodine).

And can you keep him separate (a little box within the main brooder or something)? I can't imagine it would take more than a day or so for this to heal up. However, if the other chicks go after it- the end can be very, very horrible. I tried to save 2 such farm store chicks - they died the same day. I have pictures of where this can end up, but they are gory.

Hello all--

Used a small amount of hydrocortisone on that chick's vent.

Unfortunately, the chick was dead the next morning.

I appreciate your help.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom