Possible red, kinda swollen butt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffy_Feathers, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:41 PM.

1. Fluffy_Feathers

Fluffy_Feathers Chirping

Jul 6, 2017
    Missouri
    My hens are molting and I noticed that one girl has what looks like a swollen/puffy area that is a little red on her butt area. I think it might be the top part of her vent, but I'm not sure since I was in an awkward position. She's acting normal. It isn't hard and I saw her poop (which looked normal). What is this?

I'll also try to look at it while she's roosting, I should be in a better position then.

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If it has feathers starting to grow out of it, the lump isn't part of the vent.

It's very hard to see what you're concerned about. A photo with another body part in view for reference would be helpful so we know where on the body the lump is.

I suggest you give this hen a nice warm soak in Epsom salt, pat her dry and take a photo while the feathers are still damp so we can better see the skin where the lump is.

3. Fluffy_Feathers

Fluffy_Feathers Chirping

Jul 6, 2017
    Missouri
    I just now examined her again and the lump is about 2 inches below her vent. I'll do the bath tomorrow if it isn't looking any better

azygous likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: