Possible Red Pyle Ameraucana project?

StrawberryHouseMouse

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Cleveland, Tennessee
A couple weeks ago I bought these eggs from a lady cause the parent birds perked my interest. They where Ameraucanas who looked to be carrying some buff and Red Pyle genes. I don't know if she was aiming for the variety but they I sure as heck love me some Red Pyles! lol They been in the incubator for a couple weeks now, due to hatch on the 26'th. I'll keep you guys updated but until then here's some of the parents. Lots of hens and 2 roosters.

Last edited:
They are extremely attractive birds. How much color variation was there in the parent stock, and what color were the eggs?

A couple weeks ago I bought these eggs from a lady cause the parent birds perked my interest. They where Ameraucanas who looked to be carrying some buff and Red Pyle genes. I don't know if she was aiming for the variety but they I sure as heck love me some Red Pyles! lol They been in the incubator for a couple weeks now, due to hatch on the 26'th. I'll keep you guys updated but until then here's some of the parents. Lots of hens and 2 roosters.

I hate to bust your bubble but the red pyle variety can not be obtained with the birds in the pictures. A true red pyle is based upon genes not found in your birds ( dominant white is the exception). To make a red pyle, you would have to out cross to a silver duckwing ameraucana and then work from this cross to produce a true red pyle .

The buff birds have all kinds of genes in them that will not work in a red pyle bird ( dominant white being the exception).

You may have some birds that look kind of like the red pyle- compare your birds to a standard red pyle and you will see the difference.

Not trying to be mean just stateing the facts.

Tim

Last edited:
No I dont consider you being mean at all. I was going by eye, thinking that these might have been the product of someone trying the same method you mentioned. And I honestly dont know the genes involved in these birds I got the eggs from either, from looking at them I figured some red pyle was possible, and buff was possible. But who knows whats actually possible with out knowing the genes right? lol What's your take on these birds?

Tim:
Am I right to think that in a wheaten with dominant white
The roosters would look like a red pile but the hens
would be quite different?
Walt

Tim:
Am I right to think that in a wheaten with dominant white
The roosters would look like a red pile but the hens
would be quite different?
Walt
You are correct. Gold Wheaten, gold brown, and gold wild type males are all black breasted red and when the dominant white is introduced all the males look very similar- red pyle. The females make the difference. Red pyle females should have a diluted salmon breast, the wild type females are the only female that will express the salmon breast.

Tim

No I dont consider you being mean at all. I was going by eye, thinking that these might have been the product of someone trying the same method you mentioned. And I honestly dont know the genes involved in these birds I got the eggs from either, from looking at them I figured some red pyle was possible, and buff was possible. But who knows whats actually possible with out knowing the genes right? lol What's your take on these birds?
Buff birds carry certain genes that make them buff- there are five different genes that make a buff bird. The bottom male is missing the genes that lighten the red to a buff color.

Tim

Thanks I appreciate the advice and information from those that happen to know more about these genetics then me. lol I know a little about chicken color genes but not near enough. Most the time I deal with just lavender genes. So things like red pyle and buff are something new to me as far as genes are involved. Despite the desire to have red pyle from these parent birds, what would you see possible to make or perfect out of these parents?

Back
Top Bottom