Possible Rooster Fight... Barely moving, coughing up blood

You got a photo of the other eye?

Let's see that goop. It may be pus that needs to be pressed out. Chicken pus is often a waxy semi hard cheese like material that has to be physically removed. It doesn't dry up on it's own.
This is what the eye looks like. I keep trying to get that area in the corner cleaned up but nothing going on.

Is explosive green diarrhea normal for a chicken taking antibiotics/amox? It has cleared up the mucous in the throat, but now I have diarrhea with a chance of dehydration since he won't move to drink water yet.

When people say add electrolytes, does that include sodium? I feel like I read that chickens do not need excess sodium. Either way, I have some human electrolyte drops for fasting. I have packets of sugar free gatorade, but they have artificial sweetners and junk in them.

I want to stay the course on the antibiotics to prevent bacteria resistance until I leave, but if it's just dehydrating the chicken - Not sure how it's supposed to help with recovery?

Attachments

• 20211207_171138.jpg
    20211207_171138.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 8
The green color is likely from not eating.
The explosive, well...probably from not eating, a change in the diet, stress.
If you have them or if it's doable, puppy pads may be a good idea to use, that way you aren't having to try to wash towels so much.

Possible the antibiotics are causing some upset as well. You can always introduce a Tablespoon of plain quality yogurt or a little buttermilk to help sooth the gut and provide probiotics.

Electrolytes are fine to give for a short period of time, but alternate with fresh plain water.
Pedialyte or Gatorade can be used, but I would be hesitant to use one that is sugar free (artificial sweeteners).
Some folks make their own electrolytes:
1/2 cup hot water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1tsp jello powder and 1 1/2 tlbs sugar Mix and then combine with 3 1/2 cups cold water. (this is from another educator Azygous)

What does he normally eat, do you know? I would continue with what you are doing, but you may need to introduce a very small amount of white cooked rice along with the yogurt or buttermilk, this can help with loose stools as well.

Oh. The eye. I forgot about that!
If he blinks that eye, can you see if his nictitating membrane (third eyelid) closes/wipes over the eye?
That may be damaged and what is folded in the corner of the eye. If you see the membrane functioning, then that's good.
I would keep the eye moist with the ointment. Rinse as needed with saline.
He has some swelling, hopefully there's no pus in there. He's been beaten about the head and that takes some time for the swelling to go down.

The green color is likely from not eating.
The explosive, well...probably from not eating, a change in the diet, stress.
If you have them or if it's doable, puppy pads may be a good idea to use, that way you aren't having to try to wash towels so much.

Possible the antibiotics are causing some upset as well. You can always introduce a Tablespoon of plain quality yogurt or a little buttermilk to help sooth the gut and provide probiotics.

Electrolytes are fine to give for a short period of time, but alternate with fresh plain water.
Pedialyte or Gatorade can be used, but I would be hesitant to use one that is sugar free (artificial sweeteners).
Some folks make their own electrolytes:
1/2 cup hot water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1tsp jello powder and 1 1/2 tlbs sugar Mix and then combine with 3 1/2 cups cold water. (this is from another educator Azygous)

What does he normally eat, do you know? I would continue with what you are doing, but you may need to introduce a very small amount of white cooked rice along with the yogurt or buttermilk, this can help with loose stools as well.
So he just managed to pull his legs up underneath him to try and pseudo-sit like he is laying down somewhat normal!! This is amazing progression for just one day!

Tablespoon of yogurt? After his scrambled egg incident I'm almost worried to give him anything that requires his own head movements to maneuver swallowing. I think I was doing better syringing food to the side of his mouth and making a mess but letting him swallow on his own terms. I have artificial sweetner yogurt as well, will probably pick up some plain yogurt next grocery visit.

That electrolyte mix looks interesting. The jello powder provides what minerals? Or is it primarily for amino acids/protein/sugar?

He normally free ranges about eating his "hawaiian diet". We feed him black sunflower seeds when he visits the back porch area because he has always loved them since he was an adolescent chick and could fit them in his beak. My wife keeps them on hand for Hawaiian parrots/parakeets - they're not as cool as chickens tho. But ya, he is normally eating worms/roaches/bugs based on the diet of most of the chickens around here. He also loves some mealworms when my wife spoils the OG 3 hens that we brought in after cullers took their mother when they were barely hatched. That's what started our chicken relationship.

Cooked white rice sounds interesting like the soaked chia seeds. But I've read some bad situations with too much rice as well with impacted crop.

One eyelid is definitely functional, I'm rubbing neosporin on during the evenings when he needs to rest and in the mornings after his initial feeding/waterings.

@BigBlueHen53, my wife has just started calling him him Zombie because he looks undead and he has seemingly rose from the dead.

Attachments

• 20211207_182236.jpg
    20211207_182236.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 8
I think you’re doing a wonderful job. Keep updating us. I think you just need to keep the eye clean with ointment. At this point it doesn’t look like pus to me but I’d keep an eye on it. As it heals you might see problems more clearly. But I’m no expert so keep asking the group here all the questions you may come up with. I’m hoping the leg just needs time to heal.

Back
Top Bottom