Possible Rooster Fight... Barely moving, coughing up blood

go Zombie u can do it!!:wee

Dance GIF by PLAYMOBIL
Omg I love this! 🤙

I slightly lifted his body up and he started eating watered down chia seeds with a bit of olive oil mixed in.

Figured olive oil could help get some things moving and provide some extra calories. I cut him off early because he was going into a feeding frenzy again.

My wife brought Chicken Joe (broken/deformed leg rooster) and Blue (my favorite hen) to say hello and he literally tried standing to see them. He got very excited to see other chickens.

Finished the evening with some ACV sugar water. Bacitracin applied to his eyes. Heat lamp off. Heating pad on. It's time for him to get some rest. He's come so far today. I hope tomorrow keeps the momentum.

Thank you for your help @Wyorp Rock, and your cheers/prayers everyone

@AlohaChickenGuy how is Zombie doing today?!
Just waking up. He's a bit drowsy. He comb has some noticeable scabbing, so I think healing is starting to pick up while inflammation is going down, so that's always a good thing.

No significant milestones between yesterday afternoon and now so I was waiting to post updates. However, he is making small improvements.

He is drinking more independently and moving his neck a little more. Stronger neck movement/pecks, but less rushed like he's starving to death and trying to choke.

His crop is finally starting to be palpable with the amount of food he is ingesting though and it's quite soft. He has been eating a lot of scrambled eggs with olive oil, chia seeds with olive oil, and started eating some of the black oil sunflower seeds yesterday. I'm just trying to get as many calories in him as possible since he cannot forge all day and I'm not able to feed him regularly during the work week. Is too much olive oil going to potentially cause any issues?

He continues to have a daily bowel movement of explosive green diarrhea that smells horrific. When I got to my moped yesterday getting off work, I pulled up my camera monitor and he was fine. When I got home, he had experienced a bowel movement that smelled absolutely horrible. So I grabbed him in shirt and rolled the towel and quickly replaced it with the other two I have ready. I am hoping for more solid bowel movements in the near future with the food he is eating and less inflammation/stress (hopefully).

I'm not sure why but his un-developed spur is reddish/pink, not sure if that's significant. I've never noticed it before on any roosters. Wasn't sure if it was inflammation/damage or there's increased bloodflow as he develops talons on the spurs.

He continues to try to maneuver himself into a regular sitting position, sometimes he gets it, other times the towel has too much give that exhausts him and he resumes laying on his side.

The right eye continues to be a little less than optimal but I continue to manipulate it as I apply bacitracin to look for any debris or anything stuck in it. I think the extra eyelid was damaged and that may be the primary issue.

My wife wanted to show "Zombie" to some of the girls in the neighborhood and now kids are actually asking to see the zombie chicken. lol

We leave island in 8 days. My wife has a friend down the road that also loves the backyard chickens around her house. She's going to see if she can watch him, should he not make more progress/walk about before we have to leave.

Our favorite rooster, Chicken Joe, who is disabled - Will be going to my son's girlfriends house. She has a quail farm with just hens on a dryer side of the island. They have assured me that he will be fine there in his own coop, but I'm worried about the social impact it is going to have removing him from his current group of chickens and isolating him.

My wife left for Florida to settle my daughter in at her Disney internship back in October and some neighborhood kids chased Chicken Joe down and took him. Then I had to go track him down and my wife had me isolate him for a week by himself. He became very upset and actually grabbed onto my bare foot one morning and decided he wasn't going to let go - He was very upset with me for keeping him "cooped" up.

We will be gone for over 2 weeks - There will be no adolescent/adult rooster around except for the Big Rooster (which I still think is the guy that beat Zombie to death). We have around 5-7 adolescent roosters coming up. I'm not quite sure what will happen. I just don't want to take him elsewhere and the other chickens decide both Chicken Joe and Zombie are outsiders when we return.

Sorry, got a little off topic with Zombie's recovery. I hope he can start sitting better and standing soon.

Thank you again for following up!

Glad he's still making it.

Too much olive oil may be causing some of the diarrhea. You can introduce some type of grain or a little cooked oatmeal, cooked corn meal mush or similar may help firm up the stool a bit. Fish or meat along with the egg can also be given as added protein.

The spur, without seeing it, I would suspect is probably damaged from the fight. Is the outer sheath missing?

Glad he's still making it.

Too much olive oil may be causing some of the diarrhea. You can introduce some type of grain or a little cooked oatmeal, cooked corn meal mush or similar may help firm up the stool a bit. Fish or meat along with the egg can also be given as added protein.

The spur, without seeing it, I would suspect is probably damaged from the fight. Is the outer sheath missing?
Aloha,

Today he was a bit more energetic after resting all day in the dark while I was at work. He was able to sit up for a bit, but he is constantly refusing to put weight on his right leg only. It is also often folded under his body.

I have reduced the olive oil. I made some oats, but I think I added too much water to it causing it to clump more than I wanted. He seemed to like it a lot, but started eating too much too fast where he was doing the aspiration. It's happening so often that I'm almost starting to feel like it's normal.

He became fatigued after eating a lot of oatmeal chunks and starting to aspirate/choke so I took my t-shirt and propped him up so he could drink as he pleased.

I have sardines but they're in olive oil instead of water so I need to get some plain ones along with plain yogurt. Something feels wrong about trying to feed him chicken or beef as a protein source. He finished a scrambled egg very quickly today though.

His spurs do not appear to be missing a sheath or any covering. At this point I'm concerned about his comb. His comb is starting to fold over. I read that this could be due to impacted crop, being too hot, or any number of things. Could it be possible for his comb to be folded over simply due to stress or fighting?

I think I am going to discontinue all external heat sources as I was treating for shock and that's no longer a concern.

Could his folding comb point to something more significant?

Hoping as he eats more he'll start to get stronger. His comb folding over and the consistent guarding/lameness of his right leg are becoming concerning tho.

Folding of the comb could be due to the stress from fighting.

You may want to try a sling to get him upright and some weight off that leg so he can move it about some. With him laying on it all the time, it could develop a pressure sore.

Being more upright may also help him fill his crop better and be more comfortable. The hurried eating, sounds like he's trying to fill the crop and feel full.

Folding of the comb could be due to the stress from fighting.

You may want to try a sling to get him upright and some weight off that leg so he can move it about some. With him laying on it all the time, it could develop a pressure sore.

Being more upright may also help him fill his crop better and be more comfortable. The hurried eating, sounds like he's trying to fill the crop and feel full.
1 week since Zombie's incident and I come home again to another Hawaii downpour. Lots of chickens near the water drainage again. However, no other chickens are injured or hurt around my yard.

As for Zombie, I made an improv sling but couldn't connect it to a lower anchor point. He sat in it for about 20 min before flipping himself out. Need to find an anchor that sits lower or set it up and watch him more closely.

I came home and his eyes/face have significant scabbing it appears. I forgot to apply the bacitracin this morning because I was in a rush from cleaning him up and fixing him after his sling incident.

He is downing water with no issues. He enjoys the oatmeal, but loves chia seeds among all other things in his diet including scrambled eggs. I have yet to try fish or yogurt.

He is trying to get into a sitting position more often and when I check on him with the camera, he is typically sitting in proper position but not without evidence of struggle getting there. He primarily lays on his side when he tries to move towards food and struggles to actually move or struggles to sit down.

I went ahead and threw out an older towel out today because his poop is now a mixture between diarrhea and semi-solids. So he seemingly is improving with the introduction of oatmeal and a reduction in olive oil.

I think his comb folding is just related to stress or maybe heat. He is seemingly only improving and healing, if only little bits at a time. I was hoping he might make a speedy recovery before I fly off the island, but I think he will require some care while I'm gone. Hopefully my wife's friend cares for him as much as I care for him.

Back
Top Bottom