Possible Rooster or Agressive Hen?

anic0rn

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
I have 9 assorted, 6 week old chicks. 3 I bought as straight run (unknown breed) and its pretty obvious by now that 2 are roosters. I also bought 2 Rhode Island Red pullets, 2 cuckoo maran pullets, and 2 Americana (Easter Eggers) pullets. The Rhode Island Reds and the cuckoo marans are pretty obviously hens. I was pretty sure both the americanas were hens also, until today. They have the pea combs so I'm unable to tell gender at this point. Behaviorally they acted more like hens than roosters. Now just starting today the one that was more friendly suddenly turned aggressive towards me. Is it possible this chick is a rooster? Or maybe its a hen having a bad day? I haven't read of any instances where a hens became aggressive towards people while roosters are present. I'm hoping this chick is a hen because I was really looking forward to blue eggs.

I have 9 assorted, 6 week old chicks. 3 I bought as straight run (unknown breed) and its pretty obvious by now that 2 are roosters. I also bought 2 Rhode Island Red pullets, 2 cuckoo maran pullets, and 2 Americana (Easter Eggers) pullets. The Rhode Island Reds and the cuckoo marans are pretty obviously hens. I was pretty sure both the americanas were hens also, until today. They have the pea combs so I'm unable to tell gender at this point. Behaviorally they acted more like hens than roosters. Now just starting today the one that was more friendly suddenly turned aggressive towards me. Is it possible this chick is a rooster? Or maybe its a hen having a bad day? I haven't read of any instances where a hens became aggressive towards people while roosters are present. I'm hoping this chick is a hen because I was really looking forward to blue eggs.
Young Male Chicken: Cockerel.

Older Male Chicken 1yr, & up: Rooster.

Young Female Chicken: Pullet.

Older Female Chicken, 1yr, & up: Hen.

Pictures of the chicks would be helpful.
Behavior isn't always an accurate indicator of gender.

I know you say pullet in there, but you also say hen.

Young Male Chicken: Cockerel.

Older Male Chicken 1yr, & up: Rooster.

Young Female Chicken: Pullet.

Older Female Chicken, 1yr, & up: Hen.

Pictures of the chicks would be helpful.
Behavior isn't always an accurate indicator of gender.

I know you say pullet in there, but you also say hen.
Yes I know the terms, but I'm still new so I apologize for not using them. Thank you for clarification though.

In the photos these are both my americanas sold as pullets. The darker colored one is very docile. Its the one with the gold neck that was my friendliest chick until today. They have the pea combs and their feather lengths are very similar to each other so I have a hard time identifying gender.

Attachments

• 20210417_202143.jpg
    20210417_202143.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210417_202218.jpg
    20210417_202218.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 62
Yes I know the terms, but I'm still new so I apologize for not using them. Thank you for clarification though.

In the photos these are both my americanas sold as pullets. The darker colored one is very docile. Its the one with the gold neck that was my friendliest chick until today. They have the pea combs and their feather lengths are very similar to each other so I have a hard time identifying gender.
They're both pullets.

It's okay, wasn't sure if you were new to the terms, or not. No biggie.

If your gold necked chick is growing pointy hackle feathers, it's a cockerel. I'm not sure from the photos. A couple of more weeks will make things clearer.
Assuming it's a pullet, some are just bolder than others. 'Friendly' is 'bold' in chickendom, and she's pushy.
Is she biting you? If that's what you mean by aggression, be ready to peck her back, hard enough to be alloying, when she tries it. 'Peckpeckpeck' fast, anywhere you can touch her. Also, don't hand feed, and have her respect your space always. You walk through the flock, never around anyone.
You can also pick her up and carry her around sometimes, and just be ready to react firmly when she is behaving badly, or thinking about going for you.
Mary

If your gold necked chick is growing pointy hackle feathers, it's a cockerel. I'm not sure from the photos. A couple of more weeks will make things clearer.
Assuming it's a pullet, some are just bolder than others. 'Friendly' is 'bold' in chickendom, and she's pushy.
Is she biting you? If that's what you mean by aggression, be ready to peck her back, hard enough to be alloying, when she tries it. 'Peckpeckpeck' fast, anywhere you can touch her. Also, don't hand feed, and have her respect your space always. You walk through the flock, never around anyone.
You can also pick her up and carry her around sometimes, and just be ready to react firmly when she is behaving badly, or thinking about going for you.
Mary
No this chick hasn't bit me yet. She just started running at me. It didn't seem like the running up to greet me, but more like the running to the defense of the others. I'll have to take a closer look at the hackle feathers when I go to check the feed and water in the morning. 6 weeks is still pretty early to tell but I really hope I get some blue or maybe even green eggs!

Attachments

• 20210417_212609.jpg
    20210417_212609.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 57
Do you have any idea why she would suddenly turn hostile?
I definitely think I see some cockerels in this picture but the EE is a pullet. Sometimes hens (or pullets) can get aggressive. I had one who tried. When she would run at me I stood my ground. If she pecked me I "pecked her back" as fast as i could to get a bunch in. When I walk, they move out of my way. I dont walk around them.

I definitely think I see some cockerels in this picture but the EE is a pullet. Sometimes hens (or pullets) can get aggressive. I had one who tried. When she would run at me I stood my ground. If she pecked me I "pecked her back" as fast as i could to get a bunch in. When I walk, they move out of my way. I dont walk around them.
Yes the 3 in the lower foreground that are yellow and white came from a straight run bunch. I'm sure that 2 of them are cockerels. I just wish I knew what breed they are, but I'll be using the cockerels for meat at the end of the year anyway. Thank you for your opinion on the EE. I'll have to spend more time with them and put her in her place

Back
Top Bottom