Possible ruptured air sac?

jsam08

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
One of my chicks has had a swollen crop for a few days. I've been watching to see if it goes down, and giving massages. Today I noticed that it's a little bigger than before. It will inflate and deflate as she is breathing, mostly while laying down. It also moves side to side, and will expand to her back when laying down. She will eat and drink some, and poops are normal.
Would this be a ruptured air sac? Should I leave alone? Or try to deflate with a needle?

Could it just be air swallowed in the crop?
I'm not sure. I can see the bubble and the crop is on top of the air bubble it seems. The air moves side to side and it almost feels like 2 seperate bubbles when it does that.

It's also tight. I can't really squeeze it.. but doesn't feel hard like an impaction.

Last edited:
I can get the crop to go down some by squeezing/massaging lightly. It makes a clicking sound during massage, then fills up again.

I can get the crop to go down some by squeezing/massaging lightly. It makes a clicking sound during massage, then fills up again.
Hi! I’m wondering if you ever figured out what this was… And also if your baby chick lived. I have one with some thing that looks and sounds very similar.

Back
Top Bottom