Possible Sick Chicken

Little Miss Chick

Chirping
12 Years
May 16, 2011
I am fairly new to raising chickens. I have a barred rock that has been acting peculiar. I noticed she was sitting in the corner of the coop for a couple of days. I picked her up and noticed her vent was messy with poo. I cleaned her up and then noticed worms. I immediately wormed all of the chickens.....this was 3 days ago. Today, she is sitting in the nesting box with her back to the door puffed up. I recheck her vent and there are no worms but there does seem to be a loss of feathers. Her comb is bright red and her eyes appear clear. I have also noticed there are what looks like a small egg yolk in the nest....about the size of a lima bean. I am a loss as to what to do. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

Only thing I can add to your dilemma , is to tell you not to eat the eggs they lay after worming the girls. Not sure of the duration, but I think it is about 2 weeks. Some more informed peeps here may have the time span more precise. You also just throw away the eggs during that time, because if you fed them back to your chickens, the worming chemical would just keep being recycled back into your chickens. It would not be perpetual, but you can see how weaker and weaker doses would keep going thru the chickens.
WISHING YOU BEST WITH YOUR CHICKENS RECOVERY.
thumbsup.gif

I am fairly new to raising chickens.  I have a barred rock that has been acting peculiar.  I noticed she was sitting in the corner of the coop for a couple of days.  I picked her up and noticed her vent was messy with poo.  I cleaned her up and then noticed worms.  I immediately wormed all of the chickens.....this was 3 days ago.  Today, she is sitting in the nesting box with her back to the door puffed up.  I recheck her vent and there are no worms but there does seem to be a loss of feathers.  Her comb is bright red and her eyes appear clear.  I have also noticed there are what looks like a small egg yolk in the nest....about the size of a lima bean.  I am a loss as to what to do.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it. 
I am sorry your girl is sick, mine are too. Sometimes when a hen has worms, there will be a loss if feathers around the vent due to her plucking them or the other hens will pluck as well. I'd say if there is blood around the plucked area, the other chickens may have done it. As far as the yolk, she could have laid a shell less egg. If a hen has worms, the eggs can have soft shells, no shell, or deformed shells. Depending on what parasites you're dealing with, and the wormer you used, you may need to dose her a few times. There are wonderful people on here who will give better advice than me but I hope i helped a little as I'm still learning too. Good luck!

I'm sorry for your loss and that I couldn't help. If you want to know what happened to her, you can send her for testing. That way you'll know if it's an environmental issue or some sort of disease. I will be sending mine in, we moved to this property in July 2015. Since my hens have had nothing but problems with mites, lice and now I believe they have infectious bronchitis. The property is swarmed with doves and sparrows, which carry these diseases our chickens are coming down with. I hope your other chickens are ok.

Back
Top Bottom