Possible sick chicken ?

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
While I was at work my husband found a hen that’s passed. I’ve been treating for bumble for the past 5 days. I noticed yesterday she had runny poop. It was in the 100s the last two days but didn’t think much on it. I will add her poo , I just don’t know what happened. I would soak her feet , take the scabs off and if she started bleeding stop and wrap her up and start over.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 5
I’m sorry about your hen. Do you think she was getting enough hydration between the heat, diarrhea and her feet possibly limiting her desire to walk? Any others ill?

From the look of her feet, there wasn’t any infection. If you ever encounter chicken feet wounds again, you don’t need to keep removing the scabs. If there is infection, soak and remove, otherwise you can just keep the scabs clean and protected with wrapping and they should fall off when they’re ready and show healed skin beneath.

The poo looks like a normal caecal poo that’s a bit watery perhaps from the heat.

If it was a sudden heat spike that can really stress out the birds. I know mine really suffer when it’s not a gradual temperature increase but just a sudden really hot day. You can put ice cubes in their water to cool it down.

I’m so sorry this one passed. It’s always hard. She may also have had some other unknown underlying health concern than lowered her immunity.

I’m sorry about your hen. Do you think she was getting enough hydration between the heat, diarrhea and her feet possibly limiting her desire to walk? Any others ill?
Thank you , she literally was the sweetest hen. The weird thing is she never looked or acted sick. She was literally running around eating/drinking with everyone. The others aren’t acting sick and are fine.

From the look of her feet, there wasn’t any infection. If you ever encounter chicken feet wounds again, you don’t need to keep removing the scabs. If there is infection, soak and remove, otherwise you can just keep the scabs clean and protected with wrapping and they should fall off when they’re ready and show healed skin beneath.

The poo looks like a normal caecal poo that’s a bit watery perhaps from the heat.

If it was a sudden heat spike that can really stress out the birds. I know mine really suffer when it’s not a gradual temperature increase but just a sudden really hot day. You can put ice cubes in their water to cool it down.

I’m so sorry this one passed. It’s always hard. She may also have had some other unknown underlying health concern than lowered her immunity.
Thank you I am super new to bumble foot and posted in a group I’m in and was told to soak and take scab off. She was a little older compared to my other birds. I changed their water so much so it doesn’t get hot and I have pan with pavers that I put ice to cool their feet. I’m just worried about my other guys.

Thank you , she literally was the sweetest hen. The weird thing is she never looked or acted sick. She was literally running around eating/drinking with everyone. The others aren’t acting sick and are fine.
that’s good to hear the others are well. Hopefully someone with more knowledge here can ask better questions so you may find the answer to why she died.
😕

Thank you I am super new to bumble foot and posted in a group I’m in and was told to soak and take scab off. She was a little older compared to my other birds. I changed their water so much so it doesn’t get hot and I have pan with pavers that I put ice to cool their feet. I’m just worried about my other guys.
I think the initial soaking and removal is good because you can see what’s under it, but don’t ever force the scab to come off before it’s ready. If the wound has healthy flesh underneath (blood is an indication of healthy tissue) then just keeping it clean and protected should be enough.

That’s good you keep their water fresh and cool. Do they have plenty of shade? Chilled red foods like strawberries, watermelon and tomato can also help with heat stress I think.

I think the initial soaking and removal is good because you can see what’s under it, but don’t ever force the scab to come off before it’s ready. If the wound has healthy flesh underneath (blood is an indication of healthy tissue) then just keeping it clean and protected should be enough.

That’s good you keep their water fresh and cool. Do they have plenty of shade? Chilled red foods like strawberries, watermelon and tomato can also help with heat stress I think.
Yes I bought a hugh shade cloth and put over their run and that has helped so much. I have gave cold foods like blue berries and melon is what I had at the time.

I've recently dealt with bumble foot, your hen's looks healthy and good, no infection. I leave it alone and it eventually heals itself. This time my hen wouldn't walk, limped when she had to but there was no scab and the lump was on top of her foot. Long story short, I did the soak as recommended and got rid of it.

I have no clue what happened to your hen but a similar incident happen to a pullet that had just started laying. She was fine in the morning, laid her egg, eating/drinking/pooping but in the afternoon when I went out to check on them, I found her dead .... Looked like she was in mid walk. Didn't think of necropsy at the time cause she was fine, weather was cooler at the time. I've since read it happened to others ... no clue. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom