Possible Splayed Legs???

Nate Caskey

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2017
It is my first time raising chicks and I have a chick that waddles. Is this a mild version on splayed legs or something else. Do I need to correct it? He sorta just waddles around.
IMG_4256.jpg
IMG_4257.jpg

Looks like spraddle leg.

1. Small elastic hair tie or rubber band, roughly 1 1/2 inches when pinched flat
2. 1/2 inch piece of a plastic straw

Fold the hair tie or rubber band in half and slide it into the plastic straw.
Very carefully (it’s easiest with 2 people) place the loops of the hair tie/rubber band over the chick’s feet. It will not be tight on it’s ankles.

Obviously, the little chick will not be happy initially. It’s imperative to separate the chick from the others, provide it a warm and secure box with a towel or bedding in the bottom with food and water for at minimum of 24 hours with the brace on it’s legs. In most cases, when splayed leg is caught early, it takes 24-48 hours with the braces on to recover.

Looks like spraddle leg.

1. Small elastic hair tie or rubber band, roughly 1 1/2 inches when pinched flat
2. 1/2 inch piece of a plastic straw

Fold the hair tie or rubber band in half and slide it into the plastic straw.
Very carefully (it’s easiest with 2 people) place the loops of the hair tie/rubber band over the chick’s feet. It will not be tight on it’s ankles.

Obviously, the little chick will not be happy initially. It’s imperative to separate the chick from the others, provide it a warm and secure box with a towel or bedding in the bottom with food and water for at minimum of 24 hours with the brace on it’s legs. In most cases, when splayed leg is caught early, it takes 24-48 hours with the braces on to recover.
This should help! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom