Possible Tumour in Neck? Please Help, I am Desperate!!

outdoorzgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Lexington, NC
Last Friday, I acquired a partially blind chicken. She is an Americauna, approx. 17 weeks old. She had a nasal discharge and a cough when I got her. I gave her 3 days worth of Tylan orally which has cleared up the discharge. She has been eating and drinking normally..up until today. She does not seem to have as much of an appetite. Poop is normal. I have been keeping her in isolation. Her crop seems to be functioning normally, but to the right of the pouch is a long narrow hard lump that runs halfway up her neck. She seems to breathe okay, but I believe the hard thing is causing her to cough. Every time I press on it she coughs. I am very distraught. I have spent hours a day with her and have become very attached. She follows me around, jumps in my lap, etc. This situation literally has me in tears. I don't know what to do. Now I wish I would have not agreed to take her. At least I would not have formed an attachment. I created a topic last we:(ek when I first got her, but my computer crashed on me and I am just now able to get back online.

Im really sorry about your hen
sad.png

Maybe she is crop bound
hu.gif

How can I tell for sure if it is her crop? I researched crop bound, but I am still not sure. She did end up having a great appetite yesterday. She must have just been picky at that moment that I was trying to hand feed her. The pouch was empty this morning, but the hard longish lump is still there. It feels very hard. Should I withhold food and give her olive oil? I tried massaging it yesterday, but it seemed to make her uncomfortable, plus it is sooo hard. Almost feels bone hard. I did not want to hurt her. She had a nice healthy pile of poop under her roost. She wanted to roost on my shoulder last night, lol. Ophelia has some serious attachment issues! Edited to add that not only have I fallen in love with her, but my Great Pyrenees puppy also loves her dearly.

022-2.jpg

020-1.jpg

002-7.jpg

Last edited:
That's just great, the puppy and the hen.

I have no idea what's wrong with your hen. I think I'd quit worrying about her crop, though, if it is empty in the AM and full in the PM.

Good luck!

LOVE THE PHOTOS!!! The dog is lovin' it!
Is there a veteranarian in the area who will treat chickens?

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking, but what is your experience level with chickens? In other words, are you sure what you're feeling is abnormal?

The pictures are adorable! I'm not sure what her problem is but I would be happy that she is drinking, eating, and pooping well. I hope she is fine.

Quote:
Agreed. Birds have enclosed calcified tracheal rings, so that you have to actually try to strangle them (you won't strangle them just by normal firm but gentle restraint) and the trachea should be located to the right of the crop. Is it possible that this may be what you are feeling?

BTW, I absolutely adore that second photo where Ophelia is snuggling into the sleeping puppy!

Last edited:
Honestly, what is more worrisome is the cough and nasal discharge. It sound like a respiratory infection which can be very infectious and can be spread to your other birds easily. Unfortunately, many of these leave the bird a carrier even if they get over the infection. I really hope that is not the case. Good job on keeping her quarantined. I hope it works out for you. She is beautiful and looks very much like my favorite hen. Love the puppy with her!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom