Possible vent gleet/egg bound

Jcorliss92

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
My 3 month sapphire gem started laying maybe 3 weeks ago. My top hen started pecking at the gems vent and making her bleed. They were separated. Now she has poop stuck to her and yesterday she stained to either to lay or poop. Nothing came out. She did lay the day before. I gave her a bath this morning and it feels like her vent is clogged with hard crusted poop. I was able to get a few pieces out but she still stained and only a small amount if poop came out.
Would it be okay to put a small syringe of warm water into her vent to help break up the blockage? I don't want to lose her if she's egg bound

My 3 month sapphire gem started laying maybe 3 weeks ago. My top hen started pecking at the gems vent and making her bleed. They were separated. Now she has poop stuck to her and yesterday she stained to either to lay or poop. Nothing came out. She did lay the day before. I gave her a bath this morning and it feels like her vent is clogged with hard crusted poop. I was able to get a few pieces out but she still stained and only a small amount if poop came out.
Would it be okay to put a small syringe of warm water into her vent to help break up the blockage? I don't want to lose her if she's egg bound
She's only 3 months old?

Photos of the vent? Did she prolapse?

I would give her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath, see if that will help loosen some of the hardened poop. If that doesn't work, then apply some oil. Syringing water, etc. into the vent, you risk flushing bacteria into the reproductive system.

She's only 3 months old?

Photos of the vent? Did she prolapse?

I would give her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath, see if that will help loosen some of the hardened poop. If that doesn't work, then apply some oil. Syringing water, etc. into the vent, you risk flushing bacteria into the reproductive system.
Got her at 9 weeks 7/24. I tried giving her a soak this morning. She didnt enjoy it much. She strained to poop and only a tiny drop came out. When I can, I will post a picture

Is she low in the pecking order and possibly being kept from water and food? It sounds as though she could have vent damage from vent pecking, a problem in overcrowded coops that may lead to cannibalism. Too little protein, not getting out to free range, too much light in the coop, and more aggressive breeds can also be possible causes.

You may want to continue a once a day soak, offer some chilled small pieces of coconut oil or mixing a tsp of oil into some cooked egg or moist feed. That could have to soften the stool. Encourage water, and separate her in a dog crate with food and water, but leave her with the flock.

Can you post a picture of her cleaned up vent?

Is she low in the pecking order and possibly being kept from water and food? It sounds as though she could have vent damage from vent pecking, a problem in overcrowded coops that may lead to cannibalism. Too little protein, not getting out to free range, too much light in the coop, and more aggressive breeds can also be possible causes.

You may want to continue a once a day soak, offer some chilled small pieces of coconut oil or mixing a tsp of oil into some cooked egg or moist feed. That could have to soften the stool. Encourage water, and separate her in a dog crate with food and water, but leave her with the flock.

Can you post a picture of her cleaned up vent?
I will try to post in the morning after a bath. She is on the bottom out of 3. She was separated for a while since I got her. Let her with the other 2 like a month ago and everything was going alright. Little pecking here and there until the vent pecking started. I will add the oil to eggs

20211029_074132.jpg

She sat in the tub for about 20 minutes. I used mild soap to wash her. She had hard crusted poop in her vent. The dark scab is from being pecked at. I did give her some eggs with olive oil and a few chunks of coconut oil.

Back
Top Bottom