Possibly being too concerned about duck behaviour?

They are probably wondering who those other ducks are in the glass. We once watched an adult roadrunner try to confront its own reflection in our sliding glass door. It was quite entertaining.

You have a nice, big space for your ducks, which is great, but with them still being young and the only ducks there, venturing out probably feels unsafe. Their main goal in life is survival and right now, that seems best assured by sticking close to their coop. The reality is that at this size, they are easy targets for any birds of prey in your area and staying close to cover is a good survival strategy. Consider whether there are other good cover options for them as they move out into your garden—especially on the way to and near your pond. Depending on the conditions in which they were kept before you got them, your garden may be much more unfamiliar to them than it seems.

I expect that your ducks will acclimate in time and also feel safer as they grow larger, though depending on the types of predators you have in your area, they will always need protection, especially from dusk to dawn.

I was just thinking they might be staring at the other ducks in the glass. When I had my Ryker in the house last year he used to poke his own reflection.

You could also but a bowl of something tasty out in the garden, like zucchini, peas, watermelon, lettuce or diced tomatoes to tempt them to venture into the garden to explore a bit.

They are probably wondering who those other ducks are in the glass. We once watched an adult roadrunner try to confront its own reflection in our sliding glass door. It was quite entertaining.

You have a nice, big space for your ducks, which is great, but with them still being young and the only ducks there, venturing out probably feels unsafe. Their main goal in life is survival and right now, that seems best assured by sticking close to their coop. The reality is that at this size, they are easy targets for any birds of prey in your area and staying close to cover is a good survival strategy. Consider whether there are other good cover options for them as they move out into your garden—especially on the way to and near your pond. Depending on the conditions in which they were kept before you got them, your garden may be much more unfamiliar to them than it seems.

I expect that your ducks will acclimate in time and also feel safer as they grow larger, though depending on the types of predators you have in your area, they will always need protection, especially from dusk to dawn.
Thank you so much for your detailed response :). What you have said seems to be spot on what they're thinking... It's hard to get into the mind of a prey animal such as a duck, especially when you are used to dogs and cats. They're rather tall currently despite their age, roughly a foot and a half I'd guess... They're tall enough to the point that the neighborhood cats are terrified anyway hahaha. Thank God where I live in England, the only threat is foxes (and even then they're often deterred by our neighbor's cats and dogs). I've been reading the pests forum and threats such as possoms and raccoons look horrible!

I'd agree that I'm in good company, I've been blown away with how lovely and friendly this community is!

I was just thinking they might be staring at the other ducks in the glass. When I had my Ryker in the house last year he used to poke his own reflection.

You could also but a bowl of something tasty out in the garden, like zucchini, peas, watermelon, lettuce or diced tomatoes to tempt them to venture into the garden to explore a bit.
I'll have to try giving them some more treats, I had some spare raspberries and peaches the other day, and they loved them strangely enough.

I have 11 Runner ducks and believe me when I say they have a very hard time adjusting to change but once they do they are a fun, funny, enjoyable group of clowns. Can we have some pictures? You need more they really like to do everything as one. I say one for all an all for one is their motto!

I have 11 Runner ducks and believe me when I say they have a very hard time adjusting to change but once they do they are a fun, funny, enjoyable group of clowns. Can we have some pictures? You need more they really like to do everything as one. I say one for all an all for one is their motto!
I'll have to get some nice photos when they come out of their coop next, it's been raining hard in England for the last 3 days... At first the ducks loved it, but now I think they're a bit fed up with the weather. I'm debating getting another female Runner duck, my partner thinks we should see how the two we've got settle in first, though admittedly I'm in love with them already and would happily have a handful more haha.

48073891-34AB-4E4A-9718-F8EEE4F84875.jpeg
Ha ha, I had a pair and decided to get one more. Somehow got 3 instead. Now I have 6!
I think they are hanging by the window because they think of humans as other members of the flock. Mine love to watch us!

Its when those beady eyes... Or rather that single sideways looking beady eye sizes you up and makes you wonder who is in charge of whom.

Lol... Ducks are crackpots. One minute they dont want you near them, the next they are under your feet. They will go on the new areas once they get distracted and forget that they were afraid of it. When mine run out of food I get them padding round to the front door, quacking and, um, whatever it is drakes do, as loud as possible but once they're fed I might as well be godzilla as they want nothing to do with me.... Well until I bring out meal worms or tomatoes!

Where abouts are you @Jemima Duck?

Back
Top Bottom