Possibly Black sex link?

Jay262

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
I hatched this guy from White leghorn male and a golden comet female. Out of 6 chicks he is the only black one the others are all white/yellow. Is it possible for him to be sex linked cause he sure looks like one from the day he hatched even to now he is 12 days old. Let me know what you guys think on his coloring. I know nonthing about genetics from what i read he shouldnt be sex linked but sure looks like it.

IMG_6269.jpg

Looks to me like he/she is going to be barred. But to answer your question, no I don't think it would be sexlinked.

I doubt it has a white leghorn dad if it is black. White leghorns have a dominate white gene so they can't be used to make sexlink chicks. Do you have a different rooster or hen the egg could be from? Or it might have had some resessive gene pop up from its sexlinked mom. You can not use a sexlink to make a sexlink. To make a black sexlink you would need a barred or cuckoo hen and a non barred/cuckoo (non dominate white) rooster.

The chick will be barred.

Last edited:
I know for a fact a white leghorn ferilized the eggs since he is the only one i own in a barn with 35 young golden comets it quite a lucky guy. Only reason for the post is i didnt expect this black guy the other 5 chicks are all white/yellow. It was just a test batch of a dozen eggs i thew in inbubator just to test it since it was new. Im just wondering if golden comets have something in there genetic background that links them to barred rocks cause he sure is looking like one. Its either that or i have a barred rock that breaking into my coop at night and stealing my guys ladies lol. Thx for the post guys im actually hoping its a girl and i want it to be barred with any luck i love those. If he is a roo though im still keeping him just for the fact that he is a odd ball its gonna save him from the freezer and he is gonna be a family pet.

Here they are the day of hatch.

day4.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a very useful post that explains sex link genetics. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208 I don't see where the barring could be inherited from a red sex link, but that black chick looks just like a barred rock.
hu.gif

Two interesting snippets from that topic I linked to are: "a red sex link that is a non-barred and non-dominant white male can be used in a black sex linked cross." But... "White leghorns can not be used in any kind of sex linked cross."

If the Golden Comets had Delaware in their background there is a possibilty of barring occuring. That chick is gonna be barred.

If that is the only rooster you have and you have had the hen for say over a month, then I would say that your "White" Leghorn is not pure for coloring and or the hen are not "pure" red sex-links.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom