Possibly Egg Bound??

birdwatcher612

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Harford County Maryland
My 2 year old girl is waddling and having difficulties staying upright (she is using her wings). She has a swollen and mushy tummy. I did an exam with preparation H but didn't feel an egg. What I felt was a "mushy wall that seemed to be egg shaped". Sorry, don't know how else to describe it.

I have soaked her in warm water 3 times. Twice tonight (Tuesday) and once on Saturday. I noticed her walking slowly on Saturday and associated the walk with egg bound. I knew something was wrong when she didn't come running for the meal worms...she moved as fast as she could though. Poor thing :(

I gave her a Tums about 15 minutes ago. She readily ate it. She pooped in the water. When I examined her she was contracting around my finger.

She is currently in a dry tub, relaxing with the lights off.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions or concern that this may be something other than egg bound?

Thank you
Gail

In chickens that age internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, oviduct cancer, and ascites (fluid in the belly) can all be very common. Their symptoms can sometimes resemble egg binding. Here are some links to read for help:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/853726/ascites-in-desperate-need-of-some-help-and-guidance

Eggcessive,

Thank you so much for that information. I am convinced that she has egg yolk peritonitis. I started her on an antibiotic this evening. One of the videos I watched suggested giving her Duramycin 10 but Tractor Supply was out of it and suggested I contact there competitor and see if they had it or possibly Oxytetracycline. I could only find the Oxytetracycline so that is what she is currently on.

Poor thing was in the same place that I left her this morning. She had no desire to drink but readily ate food so I put a few drops of her medicated water in her food and I guess that enticed her to start drinking. I was so excited when she drank! Most of the information that I read stated loss of appetite but with my girl (fortunately) that was the case. Hoping we're on the right track...I'm 90% sure that this is what is going on.

I realize the outcome is slim for her but I have no doubt she would have died without your information. It sounds like once they do this, they will be eternal internal egg layers :(

I guess I'll have to check into getting her spayed if she pulls through this. Once she got some food and water in her, she perked up a bit. I'm cautiously optimistic but still optimistic nonetheless. She still has the penguin stance but perhaps tomorrow she will improve some.

Thanks again and I'll try to keep updating on her progress so that perhaps it may help others.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I'm curious if you've ever encountered this? She's received a good dose of antibiotics over a 24hr period but I'm not seeing much, if any, improvement.

I'm asking because I'm not sure how long I should wait before I make the decision to ease her pain. I don't want her to suffer but on the same hand, I also want to give her a fair shot at getting better.

Thanks again,
Gail

I have lost a couple of hens from what I had suspected was EYP. Speckledhen, one of the former moderators, has written a lot about her experience with her hens who had internal laying/EYP. You can read some of her threads by doing a search at the top of this page, and in one of the threads I listed in post # 2. Most articles I have read state that antibiotics don't have much effect on long term survival. E.coli and other coliform bacteria are usually responsible for the infection. Some use Baytril or enrofloxacin, available online or from a vet to treat it since it is broad spectrum antibiotic. It is banned in the US for poultry, but not in other countries. If you search at the top of this page for Baytril sources, there is dosage info and where to get it.

My small hen also went egg bound but we took her to the vet. Here is what the vet told us. Separate her from the rest of the flock so you can monitor her to make sure she is eating and drinking. Give your chicken a LOT of calcium it is very important to get the egg out so it doesn't break inside of her.

I got my hen to drink watermelon juice. You can if you want put water in a syringe and force her to drink but you HAVE to make sure it's all the way down her throat.

Thank you Brookiejo.

Unfortunately she's not egg bound. I've handled that in the past. I'm 98% sure that my girl has egg yolk peritonitis.

Thank you for the response though.

It's looking pretty grim for my girl at this point.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom