Possibly egg bound?

BreeShu

Songster
5 Years
Jun 10, 2018
Young hen that yesterday was running around just fine. Laying eggs daily, I know cause she's the only blue egg layer. Today I came home to her laying in the grass and pulling something from her vent and eating it. It looked like a soft egg. Next too her was a warm freshly laid egg. She's since been walking around with her rump lowered to the ground and wings raised. I've felt around and don't feel anymore eggs. Is she walking like that due to being bound up with two eggs in one day or is there a chance there's more up in there?

Attachments

• PXL_20230830_225750376.jpg
    PXL_20230830_225750376.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 92
oday I came home to her laying in the grass and pulling something from her vent and eating it. It looked like a soft egg. Next too her was a warm freshly laid egg. She's since been walking around with her rump lowered to the ground and wings raised. I've felt around and don't feel anymore eggs. Is she walking like that due to being bound up with two eggs in one day or is there a chance there's more up in there?
Something was pulled out of the vent, was the soft egg intact or had it collapsed?
When you examined the vent did you notice egg yolk or whites leaking out?

She may have another on the way. I'd get extra calcium into her now, then once daily for a week. Make sure she's drinking well, you want her hydrated. With her standing like that you may need to hold a cup up to her beak so she can drink if she can't bend over very well. Give her her normal feed.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Something was pulled out of the vent, was the soft egg intact or had it collapsed?
When you examined the vent did you notice egg yolk or whites leaking out?

She may have another on the way. I'd get extra calcium into her now, then once daily for a week. Make sure she's drinking well, you want her hydrated. With her standing like that you may need to hold a cup up to her beak so she can drink if she can't bend over very well. Give her her normal feed.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.
The soft egg looked like it was mostly intact as she was pulling out, but it broke during the process of her beak tugging on it. There were no signs last night or this morning of any whites or yolk around her vent. I kept her inside the house in a brooder cage that doubles as a sick bay. She's walking normally now, but with her wings still slightly raised like they do to cool off, but it's only 50 this morning so she shouldn't be hot. I'll see if I can grab some tablets this afternoon. I do have her drinking calcium-fortified water, the supplements I give my reptiles if that's ok. Not sure how much it provides.

The soft egg looked like it was mostly intact as she was pulling out, but it broke during the process of her beak tugging on it. There were no signs last night or this morning of any whites or yolk around her vent. I kept her inside the house in a brooder cage that doubles as a sick bay. She's walking normally now, but with her wings still slightly raised like they do to cool off, but it's only 50 this morning so she shouldn't be hot. I'll see if I can grab some tablets this afternoon. I do have her drinking calcium-fortified water, the supplements I give my reptiles if that's ok. Not sure how much it provides.
I'm glad you're seeing some improvement.

Sounds like she's still got something going on, so I'd give the calcium water until you can get the tablets.

Do you happen to have any antibiotics on hand in case she declines?

Back
Top Bottom