Possibly getting a great dane pup soon...

I'm Keeping my GD Dane since where she lives won't let her keep a pet. but Rasha is almost 9 years old now and Sleeps most of the time, she is one of the most lovable dogs we have ever had, get along fine with my Pitt, poodle mix, and yorkie, Also she just watches my chickens, ( Ilive in aZoo).But they do eat a lot and Really drinks a lot of water. But they are like any other dog, they need lots of love, attention & exercise. Iam 5 foot 3 and she comes to above my waist and probable weights close to 200 lbs. I do not feed her any table scraps she only has dog food, but she gets a good squirt of Olive oil or canola oil on her dry dog food. They also shed really bad,So of you get one be prepared for lots of slobber kisses, shed hair and lots of love.
love.gif
marrie

We have 2 great danes and one is enough for every eight poeple! For an honest and candid viewpoint of these very lovable dogs, read and study the comic strip "Marmaduke"! I have found it to be a very accurate observation of their antics and personality.

I made the mistake of holding ours alot when we first got them at 6 weeks old. Thor was such a cuddly little puppy and we would nap together on the couch, him laying on my chest nuzzeled under my chin. Problem it created: When he was almost 6 feet tall, he still wanted to do that! They are fairly smart, figured out how to open the front door and would do so about 3:00 AM. then come jump in bed with us. It's a good thing we don't sleep with guns handy. He is now full grown and almost 7 feet tall. When we sit in the lawn chairs his face is level with mine and believe me both danes stand right there in my face slobbering.

Yes they eat alot and they poop even more. It is every bit a mess as the horses. My suggestion is to teach them to relieve them selves in a specific area.

Bloat is very serious with danes. We had a beautiful fawn colored male puppy with white chest and paws who bloated 2 days after we got him, and had to be put down even though we spent over $500 at the vet trying to save him. Feeding them small amounts several times a day helps to avoid this.

They have not proven to be great watch dogs, will let anyone approach the house and are friendly with them. And though they alert us to coyotes wandering in the yard, they really won't chase them away like our other dog.

All in all, we got them because of their size. We live in a secluded desert area out side of Phoenix and we had too many smaller dogs that the coyotes would come right up to the house and attack (Jack Russles, Heelers) no matter how hard we tried to protect them. We just couldn't bear the heart ache again.

My husband with Thor & Molly about 6 months old.
9782_l_4cf006ccff5deebd76db1aaeebd84b12.jpg

My friend raised two Danes. She got them from her neighbor that is a vet. The one thing I remember he telling me is that they need a restricted diet while growing. If their diet isn't controlled carefully they can develop bone and joint problems. They had to be kept on the "thin-side" while growing.

It sounds like you are doing your research. I would recommend working closely with your vet when raising this breed. It could add years of healthy living to your dog's life.
Enjoy your puppy!
love.gif

Not only will excessive food intake cause joint problems but large dogs have a tendency to flip their stomach causing blockages and requiring surgery. Just be aware that danes are lovers and need lots of attention and they will take a big chunk out of your wallet from vet care, feed, and bedding.

Good Luck with your new puppy
smile.png

I grew up around three dozen great danes, always a few litters being born. My parents bred, raised & showed champion danes. now I know that entails a little extra work above the typical pet owner... you can even look up their work .. google: rysco danes

but in terms of health & responsibility, I would suggest you start with a medium to large size dog of another breed. I don't know exactly what you want this new puppy "for" as in, what's his/her job going to be, but I ASSURE YOU, Great Danes & other dogs that grow to over 100lbs are a GREAT deal of responsibility, and are OFTEN not manageable by their owners due to their sheer size. For instance, will this dog outweigh you? Kidney, Spleen, Bloat, Joint, Hip and a slew of other medical problems are common to these dogs. They will eat more than you do and require a LARGE amount of space, more than the typical house/yard IMO.

There is so much I could tell you, if you are interested. Do you have other animals? Have you thought about the cost in maintaining this large dog?

I would love to have danes again, but my space, my money & my ability to manage that much responsibility, is honestly just not possible right now.

added: I'm sorry to "rain" on your parade, but I also dedicate time to my local animal shelter & rescue dogs here in our county. I am very familiar with folks choosing the wrong pet and having to turn them in a year or two later because they just can't figure out what to do with them. Most of these dogs, by that time have habits we can't break, and unfortunately you know what happens to a LOT of un-adoptable animals.

If you would like some help choosing an appropriate breed for your needs & one to fit within your lifestyle, I'd be happy to help you. PM anytime...

Last edited by a moderator:
Being aware of their potential health problems is always extremely important and everyone has done a great job of explaining most of them so I won't revisit that. I have two great danes and have nothing but great things to say about them. Every dog is in an individual and they all have their little quirks. My male is a calm, lazy, easy-going guy who likes to sleep away the day. My female has tons of energy (more than most danes!) and she loves to run, play, and help me do all my chores. She can be a handful if I don't watch her but she's also a lot of fun. Both of mine will bark at strangers and strange sounds. They were easy to housebreak and train in general. It is really important to teach them manners while they are young but if it is done while they are smaller I find them very easy to handle.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I currently have a female chocolate lab, who is 5 years old. She weighs about 90 pounds, so I'm used to the bigness (I understand a dane will be considerably bigger.) We also have 3 cats and various other caged animals.

We have a large house, about 3000 square feet, and a good sized fenced yard. I'm confident that I can manage all of the responsibilities that would come along with a dane. I want to find a reputable breeder in my area (Muncie, IN), but have been unable to do so, thus far. I haven't been looking too hard though, as I hadn't made a definite decision to get one or not, but now, I'm serious about it.

Any other advice, etc is appreciated.

MAKE SURE THE PARENTS OF THE LITTER HAVE THEIR OFA HIPS AND ELBOWS DONE. That is a must for huge dogs like this. Ask the breeder for the parents OFA numbers and you can check them here: http://www.offa.org/ It would also be nice if the parents had a cardiac check and CERF (eye check by opthamologist).

If you can go to a dog show in your area to get out potential breeders, that would be awesome. You can see their dogs and see if you like the personality and looks. Use: http://www.infodog.com/showinfo/showmain.htm to find a show near you.

Check Great Dane rescue groups too. A lot of people get these dogs and realize they can't fit into their life (and their CAR or house). Remember that they don't live too long, about 8 years on average.

Are you getting your pup from an ethical breeder, who screened you carefully and can provide documentation of the health testing on the parents, grandparents, etc?

At minimum, a breeding Dane should be clear of hip and elbow dysplasia, cardiac clear, thyroid normal, and NO HISTORY OF SEIZURES IN THE BLOODLINE.

And absolutely most important, you need to meet both the parents (at minimum) and see for yourself that they are affable dogs with solid, nonreactive temperaments.

As a trainer, my experience with Danes is that when they are good, they are very, very good, and when they are bad, they are unspeakably dangerous.

A Dane with fear-aggression, territoriality, or dominance-aggression towards familiar people is a truly terrifying animal. These traits run in bloodlines. They seem to be most common among some of the harlequin and merle lines; I don't think this is "linked" to the color, just an artifact of idiots selecting for a lucrative flashy color and ignoring the dog's temperament.

Contact breed rescue and ask them if the breeder is known to them. There are two ways a breeder can be known to the local or national rescue. You want the good way -- the breeder who fosters for them, helps with transport, sends money, etc. The "other" kind of breeder "makes a contribution to rescue" by producing dogs that get dumped on them with expensive health problems, bad temperaments, and no safety net provided by the person who profited from their sale. Don't buy from someone who is known in this way. Just. Don't.

Some management tips: no slippery floors -- get rugs *solidly* attached everywhere. Be careful when Danes romp with each other or other large (and often more athletic) dogs -- it's common for them to get injured when playing full-contact. Like humans afflicted with giantism, they are surprisingly delicate. Use a plastic crate if possible, and monitor the pup's *tail.* Danes are one of the breeds that are prone to injure their tails, often when wagging in a wire crate, but they can whack it open on furniture and walls, too, and spray blood everywhere as they continue their happy dance. These take *forever* to heal, and sometimes won't.

Find a dog chiropractor and use him.

Back
Top Bottom