Possibly getting a great dane pup soon...

yeahLauren

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Muncie, IN
Anyone have any suggestions, advice, or anything else to share?

I've always wanted a dane, but haven't been around them much, so I don't know what to expect other than what I've read on the internet.

You need to be aware and understand that since the dane is a large breed, you MUST NOT let it get excessive exercise, we breed Newfoundlanders occasionally, and we recently had a problem with a customer where they didn't listen to us, and worked their 5 month old Newf, letting her romp in the snow, and run behind his ATV...unfortunately this can cause joint, and bone problems. Typically, you shouldn't exercise a large breed excessively (as mentioned above, running, chasing, romping in snow, etc.) until after 1-2 years of age, 2 being the best. Also, you should make sure that the parents have a clean bill of health and show no signs of hip displaysia, of course this doesn't mean that your puppy would never develop hip displaysia, but at least it means you did your research, hip displaysia is common in larger breeds, but to be honest i've only ever known one dog in my life who's had it, so if you exercise the puppy conservatively, you may even be able to prevent it.

One of my coworkers just got a dane puppy.

As for the hip and joint problems, that's typical for any large breed dog. You should start him/her on a joint therapy such as glucosamine. Many vets sell a type for dogs called Glycoflex. Comes in chewables and tablets.

They eat A LOT just to warn you. I adopted an old puppy mill dog from our humane society. In order to get weight back on her I gave her six cups of Pro Plan senior a day, 3 cooked eggs, plain yogurt and an occasional spoon of bacon gravy. The vet said that you need to make sure that they get adequate calcium for their large bones, there is usually not enough in most commercial dog foods. Hence the yogurt.

They are also warmth-loving dogs. She was a wimp about our MI winters, so she couldn't be outside very long. She ended up getting bone cancer and had to be euthanized.

That being said, she was extremely devoted and loving toward me and suspicious of strangers without being aggressive (i.e. she would always make sure that she was between me and strangers). Freya, my Great Dane, also acted as a surrogate mother to a puppy that I got shortly before she died. If I had a larger house, I would love to get another.

Watch out for the tail!

They will slobber on everything and steal your heart!!
love.gif

Never Feed your Dane your scraps or tidbits while you are eating because when she gets bigger she will be able to take your food away from you and she will!

We live across the road from my husban'ds uncle. He has a Great Dane. I've only had close contact with him a few times but he is always friendly and not agressive. It does sound like a dinasour is loose on the island when he starts barking. It is the strangest sound.

Quote:
This warning from scootersmom is probably one of the most important. after they eat, if they are active....the stomache can flip whick blocks both ends causing it to bloat. Nothing can pass if this happens and its over $1000 to operate and correct. Its very important to research this before getting one. I have a customer and their dane developed a spinal condition from having to reach down too far for things. It was a rescue dog and whoever had owned her did not raise the dishes up for her. I love the breed too, but i would actually get info from a reputable breeder just to be sure of the facts. I love the harlequin Dane
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom