Possibly getting a great dane pup soon...

Brandywine..excellent post. Are you on DOL?

I think DOL is a great place to search through the archives and ask questions.

http://www.danesonline.com/

However I will say be careful looking in the litter box. There are many BYB's in there.

Most definitely PLEASE get your pup from a reputable breeder and not a BYB. What gets me is that I see BYB's charging as much or more for a pup and they let them go WAY too early and people fall for this. Letting a pup go under 8 weeks is just so wrong.

There are plenty of pups out there right now from great breeders.

I wanted pups and I did purchase from longtime breeders who show. They health test, know their line and hopefully, only breed those with great temperaments. There are those who breed their champions even if they have crappy temperaments.

Also I wanted a Great Dane that LOOKS like a GD. BYB's or those who think they can breed seem to make Danes that look like Greyhounds or it has a Labs head and long legs. They should have bone and substance to them and correct heads.

Going to dog shows is a great idea. You may not be able to speak with the breeder right then as they are busy most times but you can email or call later.

Every line will have something in the background, some health issue, but you want to find a breeder who will be honest.

What Brandywine said about rescues is very true. A rescue dog can be wonderful. You can pass that puppy phase and have a dog that has been evaluated so you know what you are getting. You can however get some bad health problems.

I do agree the harl line of Danes seems more high strung.

Yes they eat a lot. Of course for goodness sake. I get that question all the time. But my brother and husband eat a lot too. LOL. And my Danes get a lot of meat along with their kibble. I don't consider food "table scraps or people food" as some will say.

Also people sometimes ask 'you don't let them in the house do you? Aren't they too big?'. That drives me nuts. Danes don't like cold but they don't like heat either. And I don't consider them too big for the house. One of my adult boys is 170 lbs and the other is 9 months old and 150 lbs right now.

They do take a long time to mature so you have to be able to handle a puppy brain for about 2-3 yrs.

Everything costs more with a Dane. Toys, food and the vet.

Yes, bloat is a big issue. When the dog is being neutered or spayed, you can choose to have a gastropexy done which won't prevent bloat but it will prevent the torsion and that can save the life of the dog and reduce that vet cost.

I think crating the puppy from the beginning is very important. I have one of those collosal 99 huge metal crates that was a life saver in my opinion. I have met people who tell me they got rid of their Dane because it chewed up everything. I ask did you have a crate and they say no. I just think crates are wonderful. (I only crated at night and for the grocery or church, I work from home)

If I sound like a snot I don't mean it. I have helped with Dane rescue and belong to a couple of groups that meet occasionally. The rescues are so full all the time and it is sad. Also with this economy, the large dogs are getting dumped more it seems.

Good luck and take your time finding your pup,
Ingrid

Ingrid K Lower
[email protected]
Sandy Hills Alpacas
Harwood TX 78632
H 830-540-4122
C 830-445-1430

I have had two Danes and I applaud the great advice here.
Yes: Use a crate, keep indoors, and exercise with care. The only thing I must add is that I feel strongly that Danes should NEVER be allowed to put their paws on shoulders or jump up. People think it is so cute to see the big doggie dance with someone(!) Yikes. They really need to be trained to behave above the norm. My first Dane was 180 lbs. and would have seriously hurt my (then) small children if DH had not been such a strict trainer. Like so many folks, I just wanted to baby my "little puppy." Hate to admit it, but I thought DH was being a big meanie, but gosh, the result of having firm limits was a gentle giant that was a pleasure to be around.
Best of luck with your new dog.

Quote:
MY MUM is a BYB, and only because she CANNOT be a licensed and registered kennel because we breed cross breds as well as purebred poodles, and in our township we can't have a registered kennel because we're not on more than 15 acres. We've had nothing but good "reviews," and our puppies always go 8 weeks or LATER, 8 weeks being the earliest possible. So what I'm saying is, don't hate on all BYB's.

roll.png

Chick_a_Dee I know BYB's and crossbreeding is a sore subject with you because I have seen your other posts.

Okay, so you don't sell pups under 8 weeks. Wonderful.

But BYB's are a sore subject for me and those of us who love the Great Dane breed and have to 'clean up' after BYB's who do not do anything to improve the breed. Just sell a puppy to whomever has the cash.

So yes, I will continue to 'hate' BYB's. But I also realize if the public would not buy from BYB's, we would not have them.

I do find it humorous and extremely sad that people spend hundreds on crossbred pups when they can find the same thing at a shelter.

And I really do believe if BYB's and those who think spaying and neutering is cruel (I have neighbors who actually think this) could be forced to work in shelters and SEE firsthand how many perfectly good dogs (and cats) are put to sleep, maybe, just maybe they would rethink breeding.

But anyway...

BayCityBabe, you so right...I don't let my Danes jump up or paw anyone. And when we are out and about, usually someone always asks me to make my Danes 'stand up' so they can see how tall they are. I think that is so strange.

Also when out, I always hear the 'oh I know a Dane WAY bigger than yours!' story! LOL!!
smile.png

Ingrid

Ingrid K Lower
[email protected]
Sandy Hills Alpacas
Harwood TX 78632
H 830-540-4122

Quote:
We have a hard time calling ourselves a BYB, because we are a reputable breeder and if it weren't for local restrictions on how much land you can have to call yourself a kennel, we would... but we don't believe in our dogs living in a kennel, so I don't think we'd want to be one anyway lol... We always try to improove upon our lines, we never line breed unlike a lot of the purebred kennels we have dealt with in the past, I mean we used to be breeders of purebred CKC registered Labrador Retrievers, but things got rough with Labs, and we just couldn't handle it anymore. I've been to a shelter, and infact we're not just a breeder but we also rescue puppies from people who think neutering and spaying is cruel and stupid, recently we rescued a litter of 10 German Shepherd X puppies from a farm out west, and found them all loving homes, and all we do is charge an adoption fee which covers our food and shipping... we make no profit from our rescues, and its just a way to help find these puppies homes, or they'd end up shot and buried in some farmers field, which is not the way for a puppy to go!

So now that I think about it, perhaps calling ourselves BYB is kind of an injustice to ourselves aha, plus we're responsible, we don't flood the market and only have one or two litters a year, and usually two different breeds.... it's either Purebred Toy Poodles, and one of the crosses each year, nothing more, our issue with our Labs was that breeders were producing "bumper litters," and flooding the market with puppies that would just end up being neglected and abandonned at shelters. Again, I think I should start calling us a Reputable Breeder, we have references... and we do always ask questions, its not just "oh you have cash, fantastic let me get the pup," no we always ask questions, and if we don't think the person is suitable for our own puppies, or our rescues, we turn them away and say, "yeah you know.... maybe the puppy isn't right for you." We try to save as many litters as possible, and we are always trying to improove our lines, and one other thing... .we don't sell to breeders, because we don't want to flood the market with more puppies, so we're responsible in that manner too, also all the dogs are retired at about 4 or 5, neutered/spayed, and are then adopted out to loving family homes, usually older people who want a calm dog.

I totally respect what you're saying, and your love for the breed... I absoultely love Danes too, our Lab used to play with one at the park, of course it towered over her by like 3 feet haha... she's since had to be euthanized due to agression, and the fact that we couldn't care for her becuase she was so agressive all the vets had flagged her as a biter and wouldn't take her, so we couldn't get her shots done, or any care because of her behaviour... we tried to find her a home, a person with lots of land, or a Lab rescue, but she was just too far gone mentally by this point.

Last edited:
Quote:
We have a hard time calling ourselves a BYB, because we are a reputable breeder and if it weren't for local restrictions on how much land you can have to call yourself a kennel, we would... but we don't believe in our dogs living in a kennel, so I don't think we'd want to be one anyway lol... We always try to improove upon our lines, we never line breed unlike a lot of the purebred kennels we have dealt with in the past, I mean we used to be breeders of purebred CKC registered Labrador Retrievers, but things got rough with Labs, and we just couldn't handle it anymore. I've been to a shelter, and infact we're not just a breeder but we also rescue puppies from people who think neutering and spaying is cruel and stupid, recently we rescued a litter of 10 German Shepherd X puppies from a farm out west, and found them all loving homes, and all we do is charge an adoption fee which covers our food and shipping... we make no profit from our rescues, and its just a way to help find these puppies homes, or they'd end up shot and buried in some farmers field, which is not the way for a puppy to go!

So now that I think about it, perhaps calling ourselves BYB is kind of an injustice to ourselves aha, plus we're responsible, we don't flood the market and only have one or two litters a year, and usually two different breeds.... it's either Purebred Toy Poodles, and one of the crosses each year, nothing more, our issue with our Labs was that breeders were producing "bumper litters," and flooding the market with puppies that would just end up being neglected and abandonned at shelters. Again, I think I should start calling us a Reputable Breeder, we have references... and we do always ask questions, its not just "oh you have cash, fantastic let me get the pup," no we always ask questions, and if we don't think the person is suitable for our own puppies, or our rescues, we turn them away and say, "yeah you know.... maybe the puppy isn't right for you." We try to save as many litters as possible, and we are always trying to improove our lines, and one other thing... .we don't sell to breeders, because we don't want to flood the market with more puppies, so we're responsible in that manner too, also all the dogs are retired at about 4 or 5, neutered/spayed, and are then adopted out to loving family homes, usually older people who want a calm dog.

I totally respect what you're saying, and your love for the breed... I absoultely love Danes too, our Lab used to play with one at the park, of course it towered over her by like 3 feet haha... she's since had to be euthanized due to agression, and the fact that we couldn't care for her becuase she was so agressive all the vets had flagged her as a biter and wouldn't take her, so we couldn't get her shots done, or any care because of her behaviour... we tried to find her a home, a person with lots of land, or a Lab rescue, but she was just too far gone mentally by this point.

You dont sound like a BYB.

Except, knowing how many cross bred dogs there are in shelters, and you are breeding more. I dont understand that part.

Last edited:
Quote:

You dont sound like a BYB.

Except, knowing how many cross bred dogs there are in shelters, and you are breeding more. I dont understand that part.

We're "lucky," to say a bit that our shelters here are not so full... I usually go in and check out the kittens and cats, and what you see is a lot more cats then dogs at the shelters by us, and I have reason to believe that is because people think cats are expendable... I love cats, and if I could I'd take everyone of them, and am now even thinking of adopting another kitten from the feedmill we frequent, to be a companion to my seriously derranged cat, Accio.

We breed crossbreds because people like what we breed, and because you can only go so far with purebreds here... to be honest with you, there is such an issue with iffy purebred breeders near us, I mean for example...the Lab Breeder we dealt with a while back for our girl and her first breeding, we decided to find a Stud, he was fantastic and his babies were gorgeous and well mannered, perfectly healthy... but the woman was terrible, she kept her dogs in a disgusting amonia filled basement, much of her litters died because of poor conditions, and half the females were bone-racks... after breeding and paying we reported her to the SPCA, and it's sad to have to report someone whos money goes to their young kids, but it was just disgusting and depressing how badly these dogs were cared for, it was the same with our Newfie girl and boy, they're both in the picture of health, but we had come into contact later on with someone who had bought a puppy from the breeder we bought our girl and boy from, and they had called the SPCA because their puppy had died, and they went to check on the place it came from and it was a dump, 75 dogs were living in a disgusting and dirty portable, and these aren't little dogs... these are huge Newfoundlanders. Our two, the breeding pair we bought and nursed back to health had both come infested with tapeworm, Chandler (the girl) was riddled with worms, her coat was disgusting, she was underweight and pregnant, and we nursed her back to health and her babies were all so beautiful and in great health.. Riker, the boy, he's a Bronze Landseer Newfie (Chandler is a Black and White Landseer) was filled to the brim with tapeworm, but in better shape than Chandler... although he weighed 80lbs and should have weighed about 120lbs.

Anyway, we breed crosses because we like them, we like their personality, looks, etc. Purebred breeders here like to flood the market, not the crossbreeders, it's strange occurance when you'd think it'd be the other way around lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
I just love kitties so much LOL, It really hurts when I go to the Petsmart and they have the shelter come in with all the kittens and cats for adoption, and by the end of the day all the 50 cute and cuddly kittens are gone, and there are about 25 older cats still there...I'm looking right now for a heffer cat LOL, something older to knock my cat into shape, he's got a terrible attitude, and thinks because he's cute he can get away with anything... whish is partly true, but he was just so tiny when we got him, 3 weeks old and had been found abandonned in a ladies barnyard, her chickens and ducks were pecking at him so we took him off her hands, and now he is bouncing off the walls....literally.

Back
Top Bottom