Is a husky/pyrenees pup good farmdog??

Feb 17, 2021
Hello everyone! I am thinking of getting a new farmdog for the farm and need some advice. The family has always wanted a husky, but the facts of their high prey drive have put that notion away since we have chickens and goats. But, I have seen members of BYC that have full-bred huskies around their poultry and reported no problem. I am thinking of getting a husky/Pyrenees 8-week-old puppy and I think that the Pyrenees may dilute the husky prey drive a bit. Is this wise? Could it be possible to train the pup around the chickens safely? We would be very diligent in having supervised meetings with the pup around the livestock and would be on a leash for any time outside when not actively watching her. Any advice much appreciated before/if I take the jump. Thank yall so much!

Great Pyrenees are extremely strong-willed dogs. They do something because they choose to do it, and if they don't want to do something, they absolutely won't. There is no "making" a Pyrenees do anything. That being said, I love them and would definitely have one again.

I am not familiar with huskies enough to say whether or not this could work. However, my concern would be combining these two driven, strong-willed breeds, one which is known for having an especially high prey drive (and Pyrenees can be just as bad as far as poultry are concerned). This dog could also easily be 100+ lbs when fully grown, on top of everything else.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that risk. I already have two dogs who aren't good around chickens. Every dog is different, and it is definitely possible to end up with one who is fine, but the chance is much lower, in my opinion, with those breeds in the mix.

Are you able to keep the dog completely away from livestock if needed?

No guarantees, especially with puppies. I've had two 90 lb husky mixes (one husky & Akita, current one is husky & Anatolian shepherd)... first one was all husky in behavior, the current is, well, harder to figure out. She's a good watchdog and I've had her ward off coyotes but still charges the fence about 50% of the time when she sees a chicken. However neither dog was raised by us from puppyhood.

If you are willing and able to keep the dog completely separate from the livestock if need be, then I don't see a reason not to get it, but that also means it'll strictly be a pet and not a working guardian dog of any sort.

Back
Top Bottom