Possum?! 0.0

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Louieandthecrew, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

So, last night there was a possum on the back porch! Luckily, I am not in the same location that I have chickens in (long story that isn't necisarry) but I was still shocked! At first I thought it was young, but once I saw it: yeah, it was full grown. It ran out and sat on the porch railing for almost an hour [​IMG] Rabies? I think soooo! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But, hopefully we won't see it again [​IMG]

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Not likely but don't try to pet it just in case. Sounds like normal possum behavior. Do y'all feed your pets on the porch or have a garbage can out there? If so that could be attracting it.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Follow these simple and easy instructions! [​IMG]

[​IMG] --> possum

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. Louieandthecrew

Quote:No, nothing on the porch besides the grill (that we haven't used this week). But, the neighbors have a trashcan back on their's that something's been getting into. I'm guessing that was it.

Nick - Haha!If only... [​IMG]

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:possums don't carry rabies.it was just being a possum.

6. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:that's awesome.

7. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    Possums do not contract rabies.

Our one dog chased one to the backdoor last summer, and it laid on its side eyes closed - drooling on the ground
    we were convinced it was dead...nope! "playing possum" it got up about 20 minutes later and left......slowly....

very strange creatures....

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I catch them and take them away and release them. If it sat on the fence for an hour you could easly catch it. They are pretty dumb. If you walk up to them they simply freeze and you can do whatever you want to them.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I wouldn't those are nasty bacteria ridden teeth and they leave nasty gashes.

10. Louieandthecrew

I didn't know that they didn't carry rabies. Well, that's good to know! Haven't seen it sinse then, but I'm sure it's still around. I'm just very surprised that it didn't play possum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by