Possum got my silkie (s) Shotgun got the possum

dogs eat more then possums hehe
wink.png

Quote:
Unfortunately, my red heeler pup chased something down a few nights ago and was killed on the front road. We are extremly upset about this. Ever since the pup was killed, we have had the varmits.
I can not go into winter with a new heeler as no one around here is selling pups. We put our hearts and soul into this dog. Yes, we beat the crap out of him, it seemed the only way to teach him about the chickens. He was just getting to be a very nice dog. Loyal, protective and smart. He knew we loved him and we were his world.

Bye Rascal, we miss you.

Quote:
Unfortunately, my red heeler pup chased something down a few nights ago and was killed on the front road. We are extremly upset about this. Ever since the pup was killed, we have had the varmits.
I can not go into winter with a new heeler as no one around here is selling pups. We put our hearts and soul into this dog. Yes, we beat the crap out of him, it seemed the only way to teach him about the chickens. He was just getting to be a very nice dog. Loyal, protective and smart. He knew we loved him and we were his world.

Bye Rascal, we miss you.

hit.gif
Red Heeler?
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

ive found that my remington 12guage super-mag with a 3 and a half magnum shell works good on foxes and possums that are tryin to make a run for it along with my smith and wesson 500 .50 cal pistol for those shots over 20 yards:cool:

Quote:
I am with ya. I only use a shotgun in the barn. If I find a varmit outside of the barn I get my 22 laser pistol out. It is usually at night when I see them, so the laser works great. When they are done running, i dispatch them with the 20 guage. I once shot a possum over 15 times with a 22. The thing kept sucking air. My wife came out with her 38 and did the rest of the deed. This is when I got the shotgun out, cleaned er up and loaded er with game shot. She just looked at me after she dispatch the poor thing; (she is a farm girl from way back), shook her head and said, "city boy".

Quote:
Still thinking about all the variables. My run is a chain link
fence. Getting in would be a challenge for a possum. We also
saw a bunch of rats earlier in the summer and they have since
disappeared. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the
possum population.

Now if there was an immediate or potential danger to my chickens,
yes, I'd shoot. If I caught a coon climbing the fence I'd shoot it.

My run is very secure and my barn is even more secure. We have
yet to lose a bird to a predator. An ounce of prevention...

Back
Top Bottom