Possum Head Strike!

LCHack

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
North Carolina
I caught a possum last Saturday night with our beloved Butterball's head in his mouth. When he released her, she was still alive and does not have a broken neck. That being said, she surely lost one eye and the other was open just after the attack. We have been trying to keep her alive. Both eyes are now shut and she seems to breath from her mouth. I have been getting water in her with a syringe but she just sits and hangs her head....Do you think there is any hope of her fighting off this infection and thriving again? Has anyone had success bringing a chicken back from the brink of death like this? Any suggestions as to what I can do? My husband does not want to hear any discussion about putting her down. He thinks he can bring her back. What is the quality of life for a blind chicken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to this but i would think if she only gets the water inside to add some nutridrench or something like that to the water? Or some honey? I thought that raw milk was also good for chickens if you can get a hold of that you might be able to get some well needed nutrients into her body to recover? I'd also be inclined to try giving her some home made bone broth, same reason, getting the nutrients into her body.

Thanks...we are doing our best by her...any idea how long a chicken can actually survive without food and just water?
Welcome to BYC. Sorry your chicken is injured. :hugs

They can actually survive for many days without food, but they will need lots of water. When I say lots I mean 25 ml to 50 ml per pound per day. The only way to do this safely is to tube it, which I can teach you to do.

Can you post a picture of her and her wounds?

Thanks...we are doing our best by her...any idea how long a chicken can actually survive without food and just water?
Some good suggestions coming through from the others. I know humans can go 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food so as casportpony says I imagine chickens too can go a many days without food but very few days without water. Water is so important to chickens that even a few hours without will affect egg production.

Back
Top Bottom