Possum in the nesting box !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guinea Goonie

Roosting Elsewhere
12 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Peace Valley in Howell County Missouri
So, this morning I open up the barn door, let the chickens out of the wire mesh stalls, change the water, throw down scratch, replenish the feeders with poultry grain, layer pellets and layer mash and then go to collect eggs from the nesting boxes.

It was then that I noticed a VERY large possum just sitting in one of the holes face out like he belonged there.

So, i quietly left and went and got they ONLY weapon I have, a twenty guage with long range shot shells.

Came back to the barn and he was STILL just sitting there.

I rested the barrel on the barn door edge, took careful aim and SPLAT......

I got lucky, i did not mess up the nesting boxes (they are the aluminum with the fold down wood step ins), but I sure did ruin the Possums day.

Darn, I had noticed a few broken eggs the few days before this. Thought the cats were at it or something.
I did note that Guineas were alerting during the night, but again thought it was just the cats chasing their nightly mice.

It amazes me how darn big these things get. i bet he weighed 15 pouns EASY !!

Well, shot gun one, Possum Zero.

Well handled. I found one in the coop one night when I went to lock the chickens up. They were already roosting and seemed to be ignoring the posssom, which was on the floor of the coop right under the roost. I did not get the shotgun but used a shovel instead. It worked.

This is one reason I don't recommend leaving eggs in nests overnight, if possible. They tend to attract predators since most predators are more active at night. I realize not everyone can collect them at night so I'm not being critical. We all have different situations.

If at all possible I agree with not leaving eggs in nest boxes over night if you can help it. Especially is the boxes are open to predators getting from the outside. Sooner or later something is going to notice the free meals.

I also recommend getting some low-brass (lower powered) shells for your 20 gauge. Some #6 shot would be good. No point in blowing holes in your barn if you don't have to.

.....Alan.

The judge! I have been wanting to fire one to see how it does. I have a youth model charles daly 20 GA that is my possum remover. I have yet to find one in my coop but my dogs did find one in the yard one night ans chased him up the tree. My dh took him out with the 12 GA that night. I hate to kill them since we live out in the woods but I am not going to le them kill my flock either.
Quote:

Well, I guess I could a just let the dude make himself at home. I mean, heck, what is a few eggs, a few chickens. Geez, I coulc have had a darn pet here !!

Part of keeping a flock, is keeping them safe. I do not believe in "relocation", I do not believe in alternative feeding and I CERTAINLY do not believe an animal can coexist with thier prey.

This is NOT the first Possum I have sent across the rainbow bridge and it will more than likely NOT be the last.

How i choose to "dispatch" with a varmit is MY responsibiltiy, NOT YOURS.

BTW, I do not keep eggs in the boxes at night. I have quite a few hens that make their way out of the stalls (via the top) and lay very early in the morning. This day I noticed that there were many hens in the boxes when I did the morning chores.

Why this Possum did what he did I will never know. My flock is safe and relaxed and I can sleep at night knowing I have done my job.

15239_gg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom