Possum

lmerklein

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
My girls had a big possum come in their coop tonight. I have 6 hens and they have been safe from any threats. I had a huge tuff shed build for winter for them to roost in the winter. At night they roost in a converted bunny coop with a larger pen all protected with chicken wire. In the summer they go inside and roost. I close the pen at night to protect them from harm. I live in a surban neighbor hood and I never though a possum would come visit. Oh my God!!!!! I was awaken immediately by the girls loud noise. I flipped the lid open and that Possum just froze. My girls ran!! I was so really lucky. He did not kill one!!

I would of killed it but did not have a thing in my hand at 1:30 am in the morning. I am alone. I was more concerned about my girls. The pen is split in two parts, on the other side Rosie and Roxie my Reds were still and just sitting. They were not upset. My four other girls were going crazy in the yard. My Betsy was the one that got pulled off the roost. I checked her in the house and she was just nicked on the leg. She had some blood on her leg but I saw no wounds on her body. He just started in. God!! How scary. I raisied these six girls from tiny chicks.That possum will be back for sure!!! That was a close call!!!!!

Do possums pray in the day?? I know he will come again at night. The girls are will be in their Large hen house now. The coop he hit was the summer coop which I though was safe but not! I calmed them down and got them in the Tuff Shed which is the home I had planned on having them roost for winter. We just turned the clocks back and the nights are cold. I almost put them in the shed but decided one more night in the summer coop.

my plan is a trap him asap, because he is coming back to finish. Will he come in the day??? I don't think Possums are only nocturnal?

He will probably be back. Possums are mostly nocturnal. It is unlikely, although not impossible, that you will see him during the day.

Trapping would probably be a good idea if other homes are nearby. Possums are quite tough, so I would not try to kill it with anything other than a firearm, unless you are ready to really get your hands dirty.

Hello,

Your right! Possums are nasty. I don't think he will come in the day. Yes, I will have a trap for him next nightfall. My girls are fine. I sat with them in their house. Besty my Rock got nicked on the leg but no wounds. I took her in my house to examine her. I will check her in the morning for any signs.

I am so lucky!!!! I flew out of bed. I am drinking my coffee and I have to work today. Just to think my girls were almost eaten. They are 8 months old now and really pets! Roxie and Rosie were sitting on their perch while all the havick was going on. thanks for the advise.

I don't have a gun. my neighbor does. I will trip the thing and let my neighbor to the honors of killing it! My girls run free in the yard at day. You don't think he can get one if they run? They have lots of places to get up high. Of all thing, I was concerned about the hawks, no problems but this!!! A possum.

Baseball bat! I can't imagine not having a gun. What if a big mean human possum breaks into your house and tries to eat you?

I know, I am thinking about it. It was scary!! My girl is okay thank god!!

I doubt that a possum could catch a chicken in the open during the day, unless he finds her napping.

I would advise against making any plans to bludgeon predators to death. They (most predators) are much tougher and sometimes quicker than you think and it can be a messy business. Not to mention that it can be very impractical in the confines of a chicken coop and may cause collateral damage and additional trauma to your flock.

If a predator won't leave your coop, use a shovel or a pitchfork to provide added incentive, and do your bludgeoning (if you must) out in the run.

Be sure to review how you secure your coop. Maybe a little more prevention, rather than a plan of attack, may be a less stressful remedy.

Last edited:
Possums are “mostly” nocturnal, like Petrel said. They are not as likely to come out during the middle of the day but they certainly can, especially in cold weather. There biggest time of activity is a little before dark until a little after sunrise though. Raccoons are the same, “mostly” nocturnal. Just because you live in suburbia don’t think you are safe from raccoons. They’ll use the storm drains as underground highways to safely get around town. That’s why you need a safe place to lock them up at night, when the danger is greatest.

Possums are excellent climbers but are fairly slow. They are not a huge danger to chickens during the day, though they will eat the eggs. It’s at night when the chickens are in the dark on the roost that they are in the most danger from possums.

I agree you need to remove that animal. Just because you remove one does not mean your chickens are totally safe. If there is one, there are more. But if you remove the one that comes onto your property, you are removing one that includes your place in their hunting territory. Eventually another will move into that territory but that could be a while, or it could be that another already hunts there and you just haven’t noticed yet. Again, a reason to have a safe coop at night.

I don’t know what the laws are where you live about discharging a firearm or even about killing or relocating that possum. In suburbia the sound of a gunshot might bring a visit from the local law enforcement. In most areas it is illegal to relocate a wild animal and often illegal to kill it by any means. As I said, you need to remove that possum, but you might want to investigate what the laws are so you can better make plans, including disposal of the carcass. Your local animal shelter might or might not be a big help.

By the way, possums are pretty slow. I've used a shovel to take care of some when that was what was handy. They do play possum when attacked like that so you need to be thorough.

Good luck!

Thanks. I cant believe how lucky my hen got. I have her in the house now. She got bit on the leg but now bad. He did not puncture her anywhere else. Poor baby! I think about another minute and she would of been gone. Wow! Thanks for answering. I am getting a trap for tonight. The girls will be in their big House tucked in for bed and safe. I am going to get that thing! Put a trap in their smaller coop where they were tonight, but my hens wont be there. I will leave him a juicy piece of meat in the trap. He will come back.

Back
Top Bottom