Possums and skunks

I tend to agree with you here if you take one out another will move in to replace it. That is what nature is all about.
I disagree. Not even birds try my yard now. A hawk thought twice yesterday after an austrolorp a duck and a comet and both my roosters yelled at it 😂😂😂😂

Babies are more at risk and defenceless compared to a laying hen, so you did right to eliminate.
We have our babies in a secure box weighted down and it tried to dig underneath but thankfully we have it secured and didn’t lose any. Still scary! The adults are in a coop that’s very secure above ground as well. We haven’t lost any birds to predators. Only to our neighbors dog when birds get through the fence :( but not the dogs fault ! We have since fenced our babies in a run away from the dog

Thought we were talking about skunks and possums not hawks, they will always fly over and chance it if they see the hens but you have good defenders so that will help no end.
I’m talking about land and air.

There are predators everywhere. If you have a secure run and pen for your birds, no need to try and eliminate all the potential predators around you (impossible anyways and a waste of time).
Personally, I enjoy harvesting vermin. Not only are they a danger to my birds, but they can be rather destructive to out buildings. Some don't like the idea of eradicating cockroaches and rats. An infestation of vermin is an infestation of vermin.

We had to put down a skunk and possum this week. Is this unusual in one week?
No, it's not unusual to see more than one predator a week.
Check the liver. If an animal has rabies it will show in the liver and you will know if they carry it by behavior . I’m not ignorant I know my stuff but to each their own :)
The condition of the liver will tell you many things, but it will not tell you if an animal has rabies.
Rabies is diagnosed from brain tissue, not by looking at the liver.
This is true.
I’m telling you if an animal is sick you will know by the liver. From a butcher and a doctor. Have a nice day
You should know that one of the people who posted in this thread is a veterinarian. ;)
Think what you will. I work closely with many who know what they are talking about and the liver tells all. It will show spots on it and will not be clean and bright red in an infected animal. I will not argue further. Generations of common sense and farming practices in my family and group of friends. Think what you will, you will not dissasuade me. Good day.
Lots of things can cause spotting of the liver.

How is rabies diagnosed?​

In animals, rabies is diagnosed using the direct fluorescent antibody (DFA) test, which looks for the presence of rabies virus antigens in brain tissue. In humans, several tests are required.

Rapid and accurate laboratory diagnosis of rabies in humans and other animals is essential for timely administration of postexposure prophylaxis. Within a few hours, a diagnostic laboratory can determine whether or not an animal is rabid and inform the responsible medical personnel. The laboratory results may save a patient from unnecessary physical and psychological trauma, and financial burdens, if the animal is not rabid.

In addition, laboratory identification of positive rabies cases may aid in defining current epidemiologic patterns of disease and provide appropriate information for the development of rabies control programs.

The nature of rabies disease dictates that laboratory tests be standardized, rapid, sensitive, specific, economical, and reliable.

Source:
https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/diagnosis/index.html

Back
Top Bottom