Post-antiobiotics...how long before eat eggs?

reallynewatthis

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Kenmore
One of our chickens tangled with one of our dogs, and ended up on antibiotics for 10 days. She was on trimethoprim-sulfa. Our vet said that we need to wait 8 weeks before consuming any of her eggs. Since we have 3 chickens that lay the same color and size eggs, we are tossing out 2-3 eggs a day.

8 weeks seems excessive to me, and I can't find any information about whether or not we actually need to wait that long. Does anybody have any other info?

Thanks,

Katy

She should be in a separate pen until her quarantine is over. I would suggest that you call your vet and get a repeat confirmation on withdrawal times for this treatment. Did the vet know that your hen was a layer?

Otherwise you will have to bin the eggs.

Jim

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the injury happened a month ago, so she is well out of quarantine and has healed well. I double-checked the paperwork from the vet, since she had told my husband ten weeks...the paperwork says 8 weeks. And yes, the vet knew she was a layer...she had just started laying a week or two before the dog incident.

I will check with the vet again.

Thanks for your help.

Katy

I am not questioning the vet's tx, but everything I read on that tx says it isn't supposed to be used on layers but hey if it worked and the withdrawal time is on the paper then that is what you should go by. The vet is the expert. Sorry you had to lose so many eggs, but the reason I suggested keeping her in Q is to be able to use the other eggs.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom