Post-Broody Hen being beaten up

Aug 12, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've had chickens for four years now and through disease and old age have four hens left; A Black Australorp, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, and Buff Orpington. My Australorp and Rock have been there the longest, and the Red and Buff came more than a year ago now. My Buff was recently broody and was nasty to me and the other hens, especially when in the nesting box. However now that she has come out of broodyness, she is being viciously attacked by the Australorp and sometimes the Rock when out in the run. They are usually fine when let to roam free, and even scratch next to each other without a problem. but she is so scared to go into the run that she won't even leave the coop and often sits in the nesting box for protection. Whenever I open the coop door she tries to run past me to get out. Otherwise she is very sweet to me. Her and the Red are fine. I don't really know what to do or know what could have caused this, any tips or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

A hen being broody changes the pecking order and broody hens are often picked on simply because they are acting differently. In a 'wild' setting the hen would have the rooster's protection which prevents bullying. Is there a way you can cage/crate the bully or bullies (sometimes just removing the worst offender work) within the run as that brings them down a peg or two in the pecking order and often restores peace.

I've found a very useful and effective "behavior modifier". The common fly swatter. It works wonders on a bully.

I have a Buff Orpington that was an adopted rescue a couple years ago. She has worked her way up in the flock to Flock Bully. She loves to nip and chase the youngsters as well as terrorizing a couple of the aging hens, especially at roosting time.

I keep a fly swatter in the run and another one handy in the coop. When I happen to hear some screeching from one of her victims, I grab a fly swatter and give her a good swat on the butt. It didn't take but a couple swats to condition her to the sight of the fly swatter, and now all I have to do is pick it up and thrust it in her direction and she knocks off the bullying.

A couple nights ago she was in the coop I have reserved for a broody and her two two-week old chicks. I could hear the broody was starting to get upset. I grabbed the fly swatter and thrust it through the pop hole and immediately the BO bully came flying out.

I wish I had discovered this marvelous bully tool years ago. $1.99 at most hardware stores.

now all I have to do is pick it up and thrust it in her direction and she knocks off the bullying.

A couple nights ago she was in the coop I have reserved for a broody and her two two-week old chicks. I could hear the broody was starting to get upset. I grabbed the fly swatter and thrust it through the pop hole and immediately the BO bully came flying out.
This cracked me UP!! :lau

But does the bully still bully when the swatter waver is not around?

She occasionally gives into her bullying urges, but not as much as before I began this method of aversion therapy. Over all, it appears to be discouraging her behavior.

This wouldn't work for a flock manager who is at work all day, of course. I'm with my chickens a lot throughout the day.

This "therapy" is satisfying for the flock manager. You see immediate results.

Back
Top Bottom