Post Broody Hen Issues

JulesE

Hatching
Dec 22, 2020
I have an Easter Egger that started brooding when she was six months old. She was regularly laying eggs. She was broody for about 3-4 weeks and has not laid an egg since. It has been almost three months without sign of her laying another egg. What do I do? Everything I have read says they should begin laying within a month.

:welcome Had it been at another time of year that very well been enough time for her to renew her laying cycle. My gut says that she probably went through an early molt and now with the shortened day light period will not restart until day light period reaches at least 12 hours.

:welcome Had it been at another time of year that very well been enough time for her to renew her laying cycle. My gut says that she probably went through an early molt and now with the shortened day light period will not restart until day light period reaches at least 12 hours.

this makes sense since I’m down to about 5 eggs a day at the moment with 14 layers. I was very concerned that she didn’t restart.

Back
Top Bottom