Post Crop Surgery Questions

Pics

CPBlaire

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2018
Hello,
Two days ago we performed crop surgery on one of our hens. We removed the impaction, rinsed with saline, and stitched up the skin. Since then, I've cleaned her dressing and applied Pine Tar. I've kept her quarantined and have been feeding her small helpings of plain yogurt with minced garlic, a tiny smidge of honey, and some oregano flakes. I've put vetRX and ACV in her water bowl as well. When I check on her, she is usually standing in her cage and she seems eager to eat. I've also seen her drink water on her own. My concern is that last night, I have noticed her beak/comb area looks wet. And as of today, I noticed that she has subcutaneous fluid around her crop area. When I pick her up, I can hear the water giggle too. Is this a bad sign? Is there anything else I can do? I can't seem to find any antibiotics online that can be purchased without a vet.

Welcome to BYC.
Did you happen to take any pictures?

I am not sure which antibiotic would be a good one for this but there are a few you can buy online.

If I am not mistaken @rebrascora has performed this surgery and may be able to give you some good advice, I can not.

Hi Texas Kiki! I tried to take a pic, but at this point, you can't really tell there is subcutaneous fluid unless you touch the area. I'll go back down in a few and take some pics of her. As for the antibiotics, do you know what they are called? I've read people using Tylan but every place I look requires a vet prescription. Perhaps I am looking for the wrong thing?

Hi Texas Kiki! I tried to take a pic, but at this point, you can't really tell there is subcutaneous fluid unless you touch the area. I'll go back down in a few and take some pics of her. As for the antibiotics, do you know what they are called? I've read people using Tylan but every place I look requires a vet prescription. Perhaps I am looking for the wrong thing?
Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom