Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

I understand the idea of not washing off the bloom, but we got tired of fighting the problem of keeping the chickens out of the laying boxes, so I wash every egg, whether it looks clean or not. They stay pretty clean if we replace the wood shavings every day, but we don't always get around to it. Also, if it rains, the chickens track in mud and then it gets on the eggs. Many times there's dried poo on the egg shell and I don't want that sitting in my fridge until I get ready to use it. So far, in 4 years, we haven't had a problem with any of our eggs making us sick because of an unseen bacteria that entered in through the pores of the eggshell after we washed off the bloom. Am I uneducated about the risks of bacteria entering the pores? To me, it seems more likely that one might get bacteria when you crack the egg shell than getting bacteria from washing the eggs before putting them in the fridges. I'm open to getting some education on the matter. Thank you!

I don’t wash any clean-looking eggs. They already come out of the nest clean and perfect as is.
yippiechickie.gif

The occasional dirty eggs (due to rainy days and dirty feet) get a mini-sponge bath, and then get donated to a wildlife rehabilitation organization a few miles up the road from my house. They feed the “dirty” eggs to the coyotes, raccoons, foxes – and none of these furry friends have ever voiced a complaint.
tongue.png

Yeah, I don't wash My Eggs, IF They look clean. But for the Past Month i Have not Been Getting eggs for Two Reasons:

#1: My hens were " Born " On the Same day, and they Molt at the Same time Of year, fall.
They have been Molting Now, and when they Get Done, It will Be WAY To cold for them. ( See Below )

#2: It's Too cold, and they are Molting! ( See Above )

Most of our eggs are CLEAN. We do not wash

If we find a dirty one.....I sponge slightly to remove the dirt. Aria

Nope, never wash the eggs... as many have said here... if there is dried poop about on the egg... it just flakes off anyway, whack em in the egg basket (old school i know LOL) and crack em when im gonna wolf em down, i dont get the point in washing an egg just coz their is a bit of dirt or poo on it... im not eating the shell am i?! LOL

I never wash the eggs unless I see poop on them. The shavings sometime stick to them and I rub them off, but that's all. Never a problem for us.

Back
Top Bottom