Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

I had so many eggs, I was looking for ways to preserve them. I have started putting the clean, unwashed eggs in cartons with an X so I can tell the difference. Good to know I don't need to wash them first.

On dirtier eggs, I generally lightly rinse them with water, then I've been squirting a little white vinegar on a paper towel and wiping them off. I thought I would try this since vinegar is a natural germ killer. Don't know if this is a good idea or not, but haven't had any complaints and they are eaten fairly quickly after refrigerating.

A friend of mine said that in Panama, eggs are not refrigerated, but stored on the counter. Does anyone know how long this is safe? I have also researched sealing eggs with salted butter then storing in cornmeal or such in a cool, dark place for long term storage. (Such as when hens are not laying for winter). Has anyone tried or had luck with this?

A short note of warning -- I was feeding eggs I found in random places in the yard to my border collie. She liked them so much, she has taken to helping herself out of the coop!
hmm.png

We never wash them. If there is any poop we wait until totally dry and then brush it off. Most of our eggs are so clean we don't even think about it. Washing removes the protective coating the chicken puts on it. If you have ever seen them actually lay and egg you will see the fluid that covers the egg. The egg is very warm when layed and the fluid dries quickly. This is what seals the oores inthe egg from invading bacteria and so forth It adds the nice satin finish you never see on a store bought egg.

I never wash my eggs if they are already clean. If they only have a little dirt on them, I'll wash them and put them in the fridge. If the eggs have poop on them, I hard boil and give them to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom