Post if you have chicks right now and/or waiting for some.

We have 13 new chicks, 11 from Ideal, and 2 from our on broody hen, but she was taken of mama duty when she didn't seem up to it, so they are in the brooder as well. In all we have 2 California White Leghorns, 2 Australorps, 2 Buff Orp, 2 Silverlaced Wyandottes and 1 Ameracauna ( we had 2 but one was found dead this morning:(, and 1 popcorn stuffer, we think he is a Road Island Red, as well as our two "homegrown", one being a Blue Cochin/ barred rock and the other Blue Cochin/ buff orp.
our chicks in the brooder
11732_img_1493.jpg

one of our Silverlaced Wyandottes
11732_a.jpg

And we also just got three Fawn and White runner Ducks, we got them from Ideal as well
11732_img_1496.jpg

We have ahad chickens for a year..almost but are completely new to ducks..
Kycklingmamma

Quote:
wow I really like your ducks! I started to raise ducks well I just bought one and if he doesn't die I will be buying more ducks but Im new to ducks so probably I will only keep this one. How can you tell when a duck is a female or a male when they get big?? do females need a male to lay eggs?

Right now we have:

11-Buff Orpington chicks 3 wks old
2-Rhode Island Red Chicks 2 wks old
3-Black Sex Link chicks 2 wks old
2-Golden Comet Chicks 2 wks old
2-Swedish Blue Ducklings 1 wk old (we hatched!!!!!)
3-Cayuga Ducklings 1 wk old (we hatched!!!!)
2-Pekin Ducklings 1 wk old

9-Rhode Island Red eggs in our incubator due 040309

5-Rhode Island Reds due for delivery from Cackle on 032509
25-Variety due for delivery from Cackle on 032509

And lots of grown chickens, turkeys, guineas, bantams, and ducks!!!!!!

Quote:
wow I really like your ducks! I started to raise ducks well I just bought one and if he doesn't die I will be buying more ducks but Im new to ducks so probably I will only keep this one. How can you tell when a duck is a female or a male when they get big?? do females need a male to lay eggs?

You can sex ducks when they are larger by their tail feathers. A males tail feathers will curl up on the end, while a females lays flat.

Shipping on 3-25:

3 Plymouth Barred Rocks
3 Black Australorps
3 Rhode Island Reds

These will be our first birds. I'm making the coop big enough for 3 more if the "gotta have more" bug hits us.

Back
Top Bottom