Post Phoenix Pics Please

I've been wanting to do fermented feed, but haven't had any luck finding a good recipe. Plus where do you get unpasteurized ACV?

Braggs is a good brand that you can find in the health food section of most grocery stores. Luckily, I have a ton of raw ACV that I made last fall after a neighbor gave me a lot of apples. I started my first attempt at fermenting feed using guidelines in a thread I found in a thread "fermented feed for meaties" here. I filled a big mason jar halfway with crumble, added a splash of ACV and filled with distilled water, and stirred. I think it will be good to go after at least 8 hours, but we'll see. A lot of people were using 5 gallon buckets for this, but I have a small flock and don't want to have to store that much- especially just starting out. If you take a look at that thread, you might be able to find what will work for you.

I've been wanting to do fermented feed, but haven't had any luck finding a good recipe. Plus where do you get unpasteurized ACV?

I use the 3 jar system with just their feed and some water. That way I just let each jar sit for 3 days and then I just dump the whole jar...rotating and refilling each day.
I get mine at my local Rural King.

I use the 3 jar system with just their feed and some water. That way I just let each jar sit for 3 days and then I just dump the whole jar...rotating and refilling each day.
Thanks for info- how many chickens are you able to feed with one jar? If you let yours ferment for 3 days, it makes me wonder if fermenting overnight is really adequate enough. I'm going to give the fermentation thing a whirl, but if all else fails I may just supplement with some poultry conditioner or game bird feed.

Best answer is sometimes, lol. As long as it says unfiltered, it will have some mother in it.

I was able to find Braggs Raw ACV with Mother. Now to find a recipe I like so I can get started Tuesday! Thanks for the help y'all!!

I was able to find Braggs Raw ACV with Mother. Now to find a recipe I like so I can get started Tuesday! Thanks for the help y'all!!

I was looking around the net for information on this subject and came across a really good article about fermenting feed ( I actually found it on another BYC thread). Thought it was a pretty good read http://tikktok.wordpress.com/category/chicken-info/

Butting in a bit late but I feed mine 27% Gamebird crumbles as chicks and then 21% gamebird pellets. I used to do a mix but I didn't have the time to sprout.

Thanks for the percentages! My only local feed store doesn't give many choices on game bird feed, basically just the poultry conditioner that you mix into their feed. At least now I have an idea of what percentage of protein I need to aim for :)

Back
Top Bottom