Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
Quote:
$5 - $200 all depends on his quality and size, bantams cost more that standard usually. good breeder quality birds average $25- $50 as a general rule. High end breeders and show birds can go threw the roof

nice! but what defines a "Quality" rooster? im sorta new to all of this and am lookin to start breeding some chickens and i wanna know what to look for it a silver phoenix rooster

you can scan back threw and look at some of my roosters on here, they are pretty nice. You want them correct to type first off. Nice erect single comb, no floppy ones, slate blue legs, white ear lobes, proper silver duck wing color and pattern. Thick heavy tail, should have 8 or more feathers on each side. Cant tell this one without having them first hand, but best if they are in blood feather at least 10-18 months at the time. Saddles dragging the ground is a must, you dont want those with little 3-5 inch saddles and then they dry up. Thick full hackles that completely wrap around they neck. They should have what looks like eye brows, just long feathers over the eye near the comb, usually a 1/2" - 3/4 " longer than all the rest of them.

Stay away off from hatchery birds, or breeders who dont know exactly where theirs came from. If you buy from reputable breeders, usually all this is taken care of for you and you'll get some decent breeders.. If all you want is a rooster with a slightly longer than normal tail, hatchery birds will do, but very seldome do they ever even reach the ground, much less hit the nice 3-6 foot range.

Are you wanting large fowl or banatms size?

Eggs, chicks, breeders, etc. I may be able to point you in the right direction

i am looking for normal size birds and unfortunatley i already bought from a hatchery. i bought 15 silver phoenixes(straight run) 6 silver lakenvelder pullets and 2 lakenvelder roosters 1 leghorn rooster and a rhode island red rooster. i bought then from welp hatchery and there getting here march 2nd. i plan on taking the phoenixes and lakenvelders to shows and breed and sell etc etc.

yep, hate to say, but at shows, they'll kill you if you have hatchery stock there, they might not even meet the standard. A lot of time you can get decent stock from certain hatcheries on certain breeds, but not the phoenix. They arent a bird ment for mass production, they take time, dedication and a lot of culling threw breeders to keep just the best as breeding stock, something virtually no hathcery will do.

I know about all the major (what I'd call professional) breeders of phoenix and longtail here. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you some names numbers and websites for large fowl breeders.
Should help you out a lot. Bad thing is, most of these only sell adults in the fall, very few sell eggs or chicks due to them keeping back most for their own stock, so right now may be hard to find many, but if you dont mind paying for some really good ones, I think I can get you with a couple that may still have some. Just be forwarned, show quality ones are going to start at $100 pr, and go up from there, just paid $250 a pair a month or so back for a couple pairs myself. It hurts at first, but worth it in the long run. Especially if you plan to breed and sell too, start with the best and you can sell the best, wont take long to make the investment back on them. That's the only way I can do what I do with mine too. Breed and sell, so I can afford to buy and feed, LOL

oh man this is bad news. yeah i do have restrictions.. actually alot. #1 is my parents. im only 15 so i obviously have to do what they say. they dont share my passion for chickens but they still like them. and #2 is money and time. i basically took a loan from my parents and told them im gonna breed and just sell everything that is chickens. i gotta make up the $300 i borrrowed and im still not done expanding our coop. i had hoped to make money by this time next year and if possible even earlier (maybe october) so im short of time and money. is it possible that i could just breed out the bad genes?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom