Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

QUESTIONS!
Okay, on Monday the 30th of May I am going to pick out a year old Buff Orpington rooster for my girlies! I am getting him for five dollars
th.gif
and owner is a breeding that I personally know. Can't wait! What are some good things to look for in a Buff Orpington rooster? He'll be living in the coop with five BO girls that are only about four months at the moment, my Red Sex Link hen that's coming up on about a year and a month old, and my Red Cochin rooster that is about 23months old. Anything I should know about? How well do Buff Orpington roosters get along with other roosters? What should I expect, a kind, docile rooster, or a peice of work?

Quote:
Any help?

I've never had any buffs. I've had plenty of roos though. Some are, good some arent. Unfortunately it's a wait and see issue.

Generally speaking, orpingtons have laid back personalities. They are easy going birds.

Generally speaking, a good rooster will watch the sky, hunt for food, court and protect his ladies. A good roo is gentle and firm. Not pushy and mean.

Oh, any two roosters thrown together will fight. Sometimes til one is dead. Roos that grow up together establish the pecking order early so fighting tends to be minimal. Personally, I wouldnt' throw two roos together with a bunch of girls and "let them work it out". You're asking for trouble.

On the flock size of 7 hens, you don't need more than one rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom