Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
I dont think there is a class at this time for lavander is there? blue blk white and buff so far..it takes a lot to get inducted..i have a freind trying to get blue aussies recognised..he has a laundry list of things to do given by APA.some shows offer a AOB or something like that as exhibiting for interest so a judge can place.I have only seen it so far at one show..I would like to see it because a lot of people are working on projects..it would be nice to see some other colors out there.

Last edited:
Just got my Fred Buff hens. Already got an egg. Their in with my Doug cock and 2 soon to be just one of my last years girls.

018vha.jpg

That is my girl on the right
020xt.jpg

021mnb.jpg

A Fred Buff hen. Well ridden from a season at Fred's place. Which means she knows what her special purpose is.
023ve.jpg

My Lavender cock was taken to a 1/2 EXHIBITION Black Orp and 1/2 Cuckoo Wyandotte Black hen. They produced this Blue Cuckoo
Not even 6 month old
scaled.php

This here you see a Silver Duckwing which will be used to make Crele with my Dick Dickerson Cuckoo Marans cockerel, and MY Cuckoo Orp cockerel
scaled.php

scaled.php

For those who read my previous posts...

After discussing the chicks with Disney and pulling up the baby pictures, and looking at photos of my previous attempt at raising B/B/S Orps from a BYC person last year, I am convinced the yellow pigment is being caused from something I am feeding them. This is a photo of the chicks 9 weeks ago:

77670_100_2621.jpg

Those feet and beak look very pink here!

My last years attempt at B/B/S were destroyed by the neighbor's dog when they were about 7 weeks of age, but the pictures I have of them show yellow beaks. Personally I think it is the brand starter feed I used, but having much to learn, I'm just kinda trying to do an educated guess right now.

Next time I post any pictures of them, I'll be sure to photoshop their beaks.
wink.png

edited to add: Yes, weird stuff like this happens to me all the time... makes me know way too much trivial stuff that will never affect anyone else, and keeps me from boredom!

Last edited:
I don't think feed could effect their feet and beaks that much. Did you ever take a look at skin color too?

As for the feet and beak color at hatch, a lot of chicks start out one color and then mature into their true adult skin colors later.

Personally I would cull any Orp with any sign of yellow anywhere, it's something that will haunt you for generations of you allow the fault in your line. Also, just because a bird doesn't show the faults doesn't mean they aren't carrying them, all it takes is a pairing of two birds with hidden (recessive) undesirable traits and just like that you will get offspring that are the wrong color.

Quote:
I dont think there is a class at this time for lavander is there? blue blk white and buff so far..it takes a lot to get inducted..i have a freind trying to get blue aussies recognised..he has a laundry list of things to do given by APA.some shows offer a AOB or something like that as exhibiting for interest so a judge can place.I have only seen it so far at one show..I would like to see it because a lot of people are working on projects..it would be nice to see some other colors out there.

Per the SOP, every show has an "AOV" or All Other Variety. Any other non-SOP variety entered would fall in this catagory. The imported colors can be shown as AOV. The lavender color is described on page 184 in the 2010 SOP. The Self Blue Old English Game (large fowl) was the first lav entered in the Standard of Perfection. Thus far all lavenders that have been accepted have been accepted as Self Blue. So you can enter a lav/SB Orpington in any show. You can enter any project color or any breed. However, the best you can hope for is Best All Other Variety. We will be showing our Self Blues, Golden Laced and Lemon Cuckoos next year. They may not quite be to SOP, but will enjoy showing the colors off and getting the judges opinion on their quality.

If you do not a copy of the new 2010 Standard of Perfection, you may order one at http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

There
was only one AOV entered at Crossroads. I must admit, I was impressed with lildinkem's Brown Red Orpington. It had good type and the color was nice. Now can he reproduce that bird in the next generation? Only time will tell. But it is a start. The American Orpington Poultry Fanciers has set its 2012 National at Lucasville. Hoping to see lots of project colors at Lucasville. Even if the bird gets disqualified, it is a way to allow a judge to compare what we are working on. It should be mentioned, the Brown Red Orpington male at Crossroads was NOT DQ. It placed Best AOV. Some judges would have marked no such variety. Have seen that. In some shows a Buckeye has been DQ for having a pea comb instead of a single or rose. (Buckeyes look similiar to RIR but have a pea comb). But most judges will recognise a project color and will give their honest opinion on the coop card. Bill should be very proud of his Brown Red.

I took a photo of the Brown Red, but Bill's photo looks better:

47716_brown_red_orp_male.jpg

Quote:
A high content of yellow corn can and will cause feet/beaks to yellow. Just like a high content of milo/maize will cause purple barring in a black bird. Switch to a game bird starter that is animal protein based. A friend of mine also bought some of Disney's eggs. His chicks all look great. However, he feeds very little corn.

Here is my blue orpington roo (about 3 months?) Issac, named by my daughter
smile.png
Edited to add: that is Isabelle with him, a young buff brahma pullet.
108676_issac_and_isabelle_11_15_2011.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

I want blue australorps too. That is one reason I took on my new blue orpington roo.

Quote:
Wait, pink legs indicate mottling gene or a certain look of pink to the legs? Just curious. My splash boy has some (to me) unusually pink legs and feet still at 4 months but they do look spotty enough that I suppose they could still go dark. The black spot you see here isn't dirt, it's his coloring.
65925_charlie2a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom