Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
I dont think there is a class at this time for lavander is there? blue blk white and buff so far..it takes a lot to get inducted..i have a freind trying to get blue aussies recognised..he has a laundry list of things to do given by APA.some shows offer a AOB or something like that as exhibiting for interest so a judge can place.I have only seen it so far at one show..I would like to see it because a lot of people are working on projects..it would be nice to see some other colors out there.

Per the SOP, every show has an "AOV" or All Other Variety. Any other non-SOP variety entered would fall in this catagory. The imported colors can be shown as AOV. The lavender color is described on page 184 in the 2010 SOP. The Self Blue Old English Game (large fowl) was the first lav entered in the Standard of Perfection. Thus far all lavenders that have been accepted have been accepted as Self Blue. So you can enter a lav/SB Orpington in any show. You can enter any project color or any breed. However, the best you can hope for is Best All Other Variety. We will be showing our Self Blues, Golden Laced and Lemon Cuckoos next year. They may not quite be to SOP, but will enjoy showing the colors off and getting the judges opinion on their quality.

If you do not a copy of the new 2010 Standard of Perfection, you may order one at http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

There
was only one AOV entered at Crossroads. I must admit, I was impressed with lildinkem's Brown Red Orpington. It had good type and the color was nice. Now can he reproduce that bird in the next generation? Only time will tell. But it is a start. The American Orpington Poultry Fanciers has set its 2012 National at Lucasville. Hoping to see lots of project colors at Lucasville. Even if the bird gets disqualified, it is a way to allow a judge to compare what we are working on. It should be mentioned, the Brown Red Orpington male at Crossroads was NOT DQ. It placed Best AOV. Some judges would have marked no such variety. Have seen that. In some shows a Buckeye has been DQ for having a pea comb instead of a single or rose. (Buckeyes look similiar to RIR but have a pea comb). But most judges will recognise a project color and will give their honest opinion on the coop card. Bill should be very proud of his Brown Red.

I took a photo of the Brown Red, but Bill's photo looks better:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47716_brown_red_orp_male.jpg

I agree,Lildinkem has been working hard on good type. Thats what it is...AOV...They never put this on thier brochures when they mail them out...The borchures are always loaded with specials like call duck or orp special meets for APA but run your eye down the list and dont really see anything that steps out of bounds.. everyone hands thier out different..Maybe someday I can enter on some of these sheets as they dont spell it out, say a splash orpington as AOV..and just write it out that way..maybe they just assume that you know you can do that..so far this last year I have only seen AOV listed once.. I really want to get out with some really good whites as well as the blks this next year..planning three APA fall shows, yankee classic, twin tiers and coboskill (sp)..just depends a lot on what I buy this next year..really hopin that Jody and Charlie do come up and pay us a visit next spring..trade them some money for some chicks (and the Lunch of thier choice- set up when they get there) plus talk chicken..My work schedule is so crazy that Its hard to say one day to the next when I can get off but I put my name in a year in advance for the poultry shows..try not to bugg them any more than that as we have been so short handed.....like I said, all depends..Im very partial to the blks.
I knew I had one last year that could be top bird..he didnt dissapoint res english champ..if you gert poultry press he should be in it next month. we'll see what next year brings

No Im still in 1998s SOP..LOL..time to catch up..they need to make more hours in a day

Last edited:
Quote:
I did give these birds access to scratch from a young age up until 2 or 3 weeks ago, when I realized they are BIG birds and needed more protein. They are currently on a 18% all flock feed.

Jim, do you know how long it will take to flush the yellow pigment out of the birds system?

Jeremy, you have your management techniques down and your birds are lovely. But, if your neighbor bought some of your chicks and within 4 weeks they had yellow legs would you tell them to cull, or would you take into account how the birds are fed? lol, ship me some chicks and we can find out!
wink.png

Next year I plan to grow blue corn to feed to the chickens... will that make yellow skinned chickens green?
gig.gif

Thanks for the education!

I did have sebrights at one time that turned a horrible yellow beige color from corn..they were just pets thou.no amount of bathing and bluing took it out either.I read in the world champion sebright breeders book that he feeds scambled eggs and oats to the show flock..probably next time they molt. I thought it only affected feathers

Last edited:
Here is a very cool looking color a friend, Marvin told me I can make with what I have.
Just need a Choc and I have the Dun and I can make Beige Orps.
Pretty cool looking color.

scaled.php

Quote:
So does the dun dilute? Which would give you diluted choc, like beige? Beautiful color!

After talking to one of my genetics buddies. He says the calculator said it would take like 100 chicks hatched to get the one or two which would have that color. So IF I got a Choc and took it to a Dun that color would inevitably come up. But, I first must build up a healthy number of Duns to take to a Choc cockerel to make it worth the attempt. And for now it is much easier to make some of the other varieties I am working on. Like the Crele and Brown Reds. Both of them I already have a sufficient number of foundation stock to work with. I have two Brown Red cockerels. And would have a few more but I culled them out. The two I have are very good for that project. And I have Bruno who is a Birchen Marans to take back to these Silver Salmon Breasted Duckwings to make more Silver Duckwings. Then in June I will take them Duckwings to my Dickerson Cuckoo Marans cockerel. Initially that cockerel will be used to one of my Cuckoo Orp pullets to bring out that barring gene I like so much to use them in an Orp Silver Crele project. So, the Orp Crele will be a two year project the way I see it to make em.

Last edited:
Bill, that bird almost looks Khaki colored, which is a result of a Dun X Dun breeding.

Dun X Dun will result in approximately 50% Dun colored offspring, 25% Khaki colored offspring and 25% Black offspring.

Theoretically at least.

Quote:
Thanks Jim. I was looking at my BO pullet who is ~ 22 weeks old and I see that she has some yellow pigmentation with pink undertones on her legs, and her beak is yellow. I'm gonna assume it will take more time for the beak to flush out then the legs. I've noticed the skin under the feathers is a true pink on all the orps, but the fat deposits, which can be seen through the skin is very yellow.

Red corn!! I didn't think of that!
lau.gif

This whole experience has me wanting to set up a homeschool experiment: To have a control group of white legged chicks and yellow legged chicks fed non corn feed, another group of white and yellow legged chicks fed yellow corn and anther group of same size/type fed the blue corn and document the changes. The nice thing about the experiment is you can proof it, by removing the corn and watching the colors flush out. Could call it something like: Nutritional methods of influencing phenotypical characteristics in fowl. It would be great for my older boy's 4H skills and my younger boy's science mind... but I'd have to make quite a few new pens.
roll.png

Quote:
Nicalandia knows quite a bit more then I when it comes to these oddball varieties. I have only so much I can do within what I have. I have 3 rock solid pullets who have the Dun gene one decent cockerel with the Dun gene. And then BUSTOFF. BUS rules with an iron claw and will be given first shot. He is also a Silver so he can make a snowball White/Silver offspring too. Being 25% Buff Orp BUS's chance of throwing a great Dun is in the rhelm of possibilities. That too is a project in the works. Again I already have the birds. just have to wait and feed and water till this coming spring.

Last edited:
Some pic's of split white orp's
about 12 weeks old

Looking for feedback on color and breeding Possibilities
one of which will be all White..I also have two black roo's
from this hatch;

8696_white_split3.jpg

8696_white_split4.jpg

8696_white_split2.jpg

8696_split_white5.jpg

8696_white_split1.jpg

8696_split_white6.jpg