Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Here are my two 9-10 week old pullets Raptor and Evie. They are so Giant compared to my other birds and have almost grown to the size of my Partridge Chantecler hen! They are so funny and gangly when they run around the yard
lol.png

How are they so far? Quality wise?
These pics aren't the best, but honestly my camera sucks
tongue.png

Evie: She is slightly bigger than Raptor, has a crooked tail that I hope she'll grow out of
roll.png

104774_imgp1671.jpg

Raptor: She has yet to grow a tail, but has a huge/wide chest.
104774_imgp1627.jpg

They are both very hefty birds and I hope they turn out to be show quality.
104774_imgp1607.jpg

Opinions anyone?
big_smile.png

Thanks!

Quote:
I like her head, cant wait to see them when they are full grown.

They are one of my favorite flocks too. Is there a yellow light on, or am I seeing stuff today?

Yes, the barn lights have a yellow tint to them. Good eye.

Could it be? Could she really be laying already? About a week ago now, my EE who was the first to start her molt started laying again. Tuesday I checked for eggs and was happily surprised to find not only her egg, but also a lovely pinkish-brown egg! It weighed in at 1 3/4 oz. Tonight we found another one, this one weighing in at 2oz! There are two real candidates for laying these eggs, I can rule out my wandotte since she is still in the middle of a molt and her eggs have always been much rounder and I am reasonably certain that one of my sussex is not laying again yet because I feel it hasn't been that long since her molt either. Which leaves the other sussex, and my new blue orpington pullet.

The orp has a nice bright red comb, but we were told she was about 6 months old when we bought her at the end of Oct and I really wasn't expecting her to lay until spring, or at least closer to spring. These eggs also strike me as a bit large for pullet eggs, most of my girls who are laying 1 3/4-2 1/4oz eggs started out at 1 1/4-1 1/2oz. I did have one EE start out at 1 3/4oz, but her eggs were never normal and always very large, and my EE who is laying now did start laying 1 3/4oz-ers after the first two eggs. And I suspect my one sussex, the other hen I think may have laid this egg, may have also had a 1 3/4oz egg for her first. They are also more pinkish than I remember my sussex eggs being, although I think it's been more than two months since my last one so I could be wrong. I did notice that the egg from Tuesday does not look as pink today as it did the day it was laid, nor does it appear as pink as the one we collected today.

So, anyone want to share what age their non-hatchery orps started laying and how big their first eggs were?

I have had quite a few new ones start in the past couple weeks. 3 of them are breeder orps that all layed normal size eggs thier first times.
big_smile.png
My geese started up this week too- happens pretty much every solstice,

Back
Top Bottom