Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I accident gave my sebright hen an orp dose of goat wormer...the only adverse reaction was she is now a tub..gained quite a bit of weight..won't do that again but to date no one injured from it wait. About 2 1/2 weeks, then eat the eggs..

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any worms and my birds are doing well and are at a nice weight. I just saw on another list they were talking about worming their flocks every 6 months and being new I thought I better ask questions.
caf.gif
So it sounds like I shouldn't worm unless I see the need. Throw out the eggs for several weeks afterwards and the chickens that were wormed will no longer be fit to eat. Did I get it right? Would these eggs be ok to feed to the dogs or is that not good either? Appreciate all the info and that you guys are willing to answer newbie questions. Thanks again.
big_smile.png
You said the chickens won't be fit to eat. Actually with Wazine, it's the egglayers that it isn't labeled for. See the deworming link in post #8025- it mentions broilers.

Edited- I went back and found the info for slaughter (there is a withdrawal time):
http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html
look under warnings

Last edited:
You said the chickens won't be fit to eat. Actually with Wazine, it's the egglayers that it isn't labeled for. See the deworming link in post #8025- it mentions broilers.

Edited- I went back and found the info for slaughter (there is a withdrawal time):
http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html
look under warnings
Is Wazine the same as Piperzine. It was first made for swine I think and later approved for poultry.

When I went to the link and read it listed piperazine as the active ingredient.
I think why we don't have better wormers for poultry is the cost to made and get approved with the USDA for meat animals for people. The cost to get them approved would be high and it takes time. Also the meat and egg producers don't need wormers. The meat birds are butchered at like 6 weeks. Hen are only used for one laying time and then it's off to chicken noodle soup. Show or backyard flocks are left without a good approved poultry wormer and to made a wormer for just this small part of poultry in the US would be to costly. Just my thinking.

It sure seems like a good business idea to me. I hope someone takes off with it and can roll out a product for us to use, or at least approve what already is out there. There are millions (thousands?) of us with backyard hens.
I would not SELL eggs from just wormed birds for 10 days or so, but I have no problems eating eggs, or birds , that have been recently wormed. All the wormers that we use are routinely used to worm PEOPLE in third world countries . RARELY , SOME PEOPLE SHOW SOME SENSITIVITY TO THE DRUGS . It would take years of testing , and millions of dollars , to get these drugs approved for chickens used for meat and eggs.

Some people feed their chickens pumpkin for it's natural worming capabilities. I personally would not rely on just that for a complete wormer but don't see the harm in giving my birds some from time to time. I find a good time to worm is during the molting season when the egg production is down.

It is my opinion worming too much is as bad as not worming enough.. Now I can see the need for all those extra worming if you have an infestation in your soil. But even that can be controlled with better coop management.

Last edited:
LEE here in Marion county Indy, a good friend, and an ole school type told me to mix in a couple of tablespoons of Cayenne pepper, Red pepper, and some kinda other pepper in powder form with scrambled eggs to feed to the chickens is a good ALL NATURAL dewormer that causes no harm or ill effects to chickens. Chickens have no salvatory glands and can not taste the heat from these peppers. IF we're lucky LEE will pop in here and set the record strait what he does. I learned these OLD TIMING DUDES like LEE know best.

Back
Top Bottom