Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

So, I'm a big idiot when it comes to genetics. I can do lots of things well, but I CAN NOT, for the life of me figure this stuff out. I've got the basics [bigB littleb]

I've got 2 Buff hens, my Roo is splash.

I tried using the chicken calculator but it was like trying to read something in another language [pun intended]

Is white a recessive gene in buffs? And what should I expect if my Splash and my Buff fertilize and egg?

Can someone break this down playskool style for me?

Check this out, but yours will all be blue, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/427098/blue-roo-buff-hen
So, I'm a big idiot when it comes to genetics. I can do lots of things well, but I CAN NOT, for the life of me figure this stuff out. I've got the basics [bigB littleb]

I've got 2 Buff hens, my Roo is splash.

I tried using the chicken calculator but it was like trying to read something in another language [pun intended]

Is white a recessive gene in buffs? And what should I expect if my Splash and my Buff fertilize and egg?

Can someone break this down playskool style for me?

To clarify a bit, maybe, a "splash" is one with two copies of the "blue" gene and will appear, when young, as almost white but with a black or blue looking feather here and there. Pullets end up looking just like that (since more juvenile birds have "female" feathering) but boys end up with "blue" feather on the top and white with a few spots on the bottom. that's the simplest way I can explain it. Thus they are white but "spashed" with color here and there.

To clarify a bit, maybe, a "splash" is one with two copies of the "blue" gene and will appear, when young, as almost white but with a black or blue looking feather here and there. Pullets end up looking just like that (since more juvenile birds have "female" feathering) but boys end up with "blue" feather on the top and white with a few spots on the bottom. that's the simplest way I can explain it. Thus they are white but "spashed" with color here and there.
Also some splash will come pure white, not often.

Back
Top Bottom