Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Added two new Orps! A Lavender and a black. They are pretty dirty and they'll probably need a molt before their feathers look pretty, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm admittedly a novice in the Orp department so any advice, critique, etc. is welcome. I'm not starting a breeding program or anything, just want some good layers. Thanks!

They're cute! Usually blacks bred to lavenders make much nicer lavenders in the long run, improve type and feathering. Are they both pullets?

They're cute! Usually blacks bred to lavenders make much nicer lavenders in the long run, improve type and feathering. Are they both pullets?

Yes both pullets. Which is why I bought them! I'm not set up for breeding, but I did read a bit on the Lav Orp thread. I just want eggs for now!

So to all of the experienced breeders how do you know one good bird from another? What specifically do you look for in an Orp?

Over all appearance, if they don't make me smile they don't stay. Leg color, comb points, broad, flat skull, nice tight wings that are angled correctly, topline I look for a little longer back than some breeders as I've found they lay better, tail angle, cushion, nice plumb feather of quality. Bright, alert eyes. Deep and we'll formed chest. Correct color. No leakage. Crisp patterning if cuckoo, laced, partridge etc.

Over all appearance, if they don't make me smile they don't stay. Leg color, comb points, broad, flat skull, nice tight wings that are angled correctly, topline I look for a little longer back than some breeders as I've found they lay better, tail angle, cushion, nice plumb feather of quality. Bright, alert eyes. Deep and we'll formed chest. Correct color. No leakage. Crisp patterning if cuckoo, laced, partridge etc.
I am sure experience and a good eye goes a long way! I find it all pretty interesting. BYC has been an awesome resource. It has been quite a wealth of knowledge. That one silly day at Tractor Supply and 'poof' chicken mania at my house...lol
yippiechickie.gif
We love all our chickens. Even our naughty Production Reds who terrorize our Orps.

Now why can't we do that to humans... Lol

Back
Top Bottom