Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I just got my 1st chickens ever the beginning of October. After a lot of research I decided on Orpingtons because of their temperment and being reasonable egg layers. So happy with them, they are such friendly birds. I got these from two different local breeders. A Gold Laced from one and Buffs and a Blue(?) rooster from another. They are all 8 months old and 3 are laying. I also added an Ameracauna for its colored eggs just for fun. Having a great time and learning so much from all the BYC members.

I just got my 1st chickens ever the beginning of October. After a lot of research I decided on Orpingtons because of their temperment and being reasonable egg layers. So happy with them, they are such friendly birds. I got these from two different local breeders. A Gold Laced from one and Buffs and a Blue(?) rooster from another. They are all 8 months old and 3 are laying. I also added an Ameracauna for its colored eggs just for fun. Having a great time and learning so much from all the BYC members.

Pretty! And welcome to the flock!

welcome-byc.gif

Great to hear that you're enjoying your chickens. All breeds are great for diff reasons,...... and chickens can be very addictive. LOL

[/IMG]
A few of my young splash orpingtons. I let half the chickens free range at a time. The actual blue orpingtons were penned up this day. There are a few silver pencilled rocks in the picture too along with a cross between the two. Made a very nice looking chicken, she went broody this winter and raised a few chick's. Not really into keeping mutts but her setting on eggs saved her from the frying pan this winter when I started culling this past years chickens. Looking forward to raising another bach of chick's this spring. Kept this nice young splash rooster to be the breeder of my blues this time. Liking these young splash hens too. Guess the splash kinda grew on me.

My flock's first snow and cold. East TN, had 3-4 inches since last night and 19° now. Supposed to get down to near 0° tonight. Found them all huddled together on one roost bar this morning when I opened the coop. They seem pretty happy and comfortable so far. They've been laying down and sunning themselves on the hay I threw in this morning.

I love pics of chickens walking through the snow. Our orps do not like the snow, but at least they're good about handling the cold. Here in N/ Illinois, we've already had several nights below zero. (With windchill maybe -16'F)

I was feeling lousy today (sinus infection), so I needed a little chicken therapy. It looked very nice outside but was about 15'F & windy. I brought out my camera & a piece of bread.

Godiva & Muppet were the 1st ones out to greet me on this very cold day. You can see how much smaller Godiva is. (She's not a bantam - just smaller than my giant lav orps.) Moose is behind them doing a fluff up. He didn't seem happy about coming out into the cold, but my roos are good protectors. Anytime a hen leaves the protection of the run, a roo will accompany her..

Here's a close up of Moose. I'm surprised how well his comb is doing in this cold. (I apply Bag Balm to the boys' combs & wattles when it goes below zero.)

Can't take photos without at least one of Brick, our Choc cuckoo orp. His comb & wattles are smaller, but the poor guy got a touch of frostbite on his back tips.
Here he is next to Sweetie. You can see how my lav orp hens are bigger than he is. (Godiva's butt fluff is also in the pic.)

Here's Trouble cutting in line to get her share of the treats. (She often flies onto my arm so she can stick her head right into the treat bucket. She's smart enough to know not to fight with an orp over treats.)

Back
Top Bottom